Thread: Increasing network throughput

Beans

Thumbs down Increasing network throughput

Hi, guys. I've a bit of a problem with the networking at home. I have 2 computers and 1 NAS. I've enabled FTP on my NAS. Both PCs used to be windows based but after one got infected by a virus, I thought of trying out ubuntu. Before, both PCs can do 40MB/s when transferring large files using filezilla. Now, the ubuntu pc only does 1.5MB/s using filezilla too. I think I just need to tweak the settings for ubuntu or maybe not. Can anyone help? or point me to the right direction? Posts, links, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Increasing network throughput

Quote Originally Posted by auren View Post
    Hi, guys. I've a bit of a problem with the networking at home. I have 2 computers and 1 NAS. I've enabled FTP on my NAS. Both PCs used to be windows based but after one got infected by a virus, I thought of trying out ubuntu. Before, both PCs can do 40MB/s when transferring large files using filezilla. Now, the ubuntu pc only does 1.5MB/s using filezilla too. I think I just need to tweak the settings for ubuntu or maybe not. Can anyone help? or point me to the right direction? Posts, links, etc.
    Need more details on your setup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    Need more details on your setup.
    AMD LE-1300
    motherboard MSI K9AGM3-F (690G chipset)
    1Gbps ethernet port (built in)
    1.5GB RAM DDR2-667
    400GB IDE WD

Software:
    Ubuntu 9.10
    2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux - when I type "uname -a" in terminal

2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    txqueuelen:1000
    Interrupt:30 Base address:0xe000

running filezilla 3.2.7.2

That's as much as I can gather on my own.

Is it really possible to reach 70-80 MB/s? hehe.

It isn't necessary to do FTP. If anyone else has a solution for reliable and fast file transfer via network, I'd appreciate the help.

NAS: using Thecus N5200 Pro. RAID5.
    Last edited by auren; April 2nd, 2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

AMD LE-1300
    motherboard MSI K9AGM3-F (690G chipset)
    1Gbps ethernet port (built in)
    1.5GB RAM DDR2-667
    400GB IDE WD

Software:
    Ubuntu 9.10
    2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux - when I type "uname -a" in terminal

2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    txqueuelen:1000
    Interrupt:30 Base address:0xe000

running filezilla 3.2.7.2

That's as much as I can gather on my own.

Is it really possible to reach 70-80 MB/s? hehe.

It isn't necessary to do FTP. If anyone else has a solution for reliable and fast file transfer via network, I'd appreciate the help.

NAS: using Thecus N5200 Pro. RAID5.
    Something is messed up. I have reached 80 MB/s with going through catalyst with Gigabit fiber to the server and copper to client. The client was linux box using intel ethernet hardware.

Run some tests going host to host via a x-over.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Increasing network throughput

Something is messed up. I have reached 80 MB/s with going through catalyst with Gigabit fiber to the server and copper to client. The client was linux box using intel ethernet hardware.

Run some tests going host to host via a x-over.
    You lost me after saying something is messed up hehehe. what's catalyst? x-over ... did you mean a crossover cable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You lost me after saying something is messed up hehehe. what's catalyst? x-over ... did you mean a crossover cable?
    oh.. catalyst is just a line of cisco switches..

And and yes x-over is crossover. Just a regular cable with the send and receive pairs crossed. (1-3, 2-6)

Are you running directly into the NAS or are going through another piece of hardware? Run "ifconfig" and see if you seeing errors. Also run "sudo ethtool eth0" to see the negotiated speed.

Beans

oh.. catalyst is just a line of cisco switches..

And and yes x-over is crossover. Just a regular cable with the send and receive pairs crossed. (1-3, 2-6)

Are you running directly into the NAS or are going through another piece of hardware? Run "ifconfig" and see if you seeing errors. Also run "sudo ethtool eth0" to see the negotiated speed.
    Sorry I forgot to mention, I'm using a dlink 655 as my router and then a dgs-1008 under it. Both PCs and NAS are connected to the dlink switch (dgs-1008 )
    Last edited by auren; April 10th, 2010 at 02:59 AM.