Thread: Toshiba Qosmio optical drive issues

Beans

Toshiba Qosmio optical drive issues

I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on this laptop:

http://www.linlap.com/wiki/toshiba+qosmio+x305

Now my optical drive won't open when the operating system is booted (however before the OS boots it opens just fine) and while the drive can read the files on a disk I'm trying to play a DVD and it's not working for me. What should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Toshiba Qosmio optical drive issues

First, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring 
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras app-install-data-medibuntu libdvdcss2
    That should fix the DVD playing issue. The drive is probably locked by the os. Instead of using the eject button, left click on the drive icon and select eject.

Beans

Re: Toshiba Qosmio optical drive issues

That worked! Thanks! ^_^

Beans

Re: Optical drive issues

After installing 9.10, the optical drive (a Sony DW-D22A) on my desktop will not open although, just as with others, before the OS is fully loaded it opens just fine with the front button.

I tried the software update suggested above, but it has not solved the problem. Also, strangely, the file browser shows 'unknown' in the Properties for the CD/DVD drive, while the Disk Utility has complete information for it in Properties.