Thread: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10

Threaded View

Beans

Exclamation Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10

I have just moved to rackspacecloud and created a Ubuntu 9.10 server. Moved everything over all fine (7-10 wordpress sites). Now I have a couple rails apps that need to move over and run on postgresql 8.4.

I installed postgresql via sudo apt-get as per usual. Usually at this point the postgresql server starts up and I can forget about it. But no luck. I booted it by running /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start. When I run that command it boots fine, I can connect via psql no trouble.

I rebooted the machine to see what happened. After boot, apache and mysql started just fine, wp sites came up nicely no trouble. postgresql wouldn't start up.

I have tried installing from source, I have tried using different /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 scripts. I have no idea what to do.

I have downgraded to upstart to 0.6.3-10. I have apt-get updated, upgraded. I have Googled. I have pushed and pulled.

Usually with any linux issue in the past I have been able to find a solution on the net or work it out myself. This one stumps me to no end.

The other irritating part is that while I wait to work out this issue I am still paying for my old server running my Rails apps.

Anybody have any clues? Solutions? Experience? Cheers!
    Last edited by jordandcarter; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:32 AM.