Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install Lexmark All-In-Ones

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How To: Install Lexmark All-In-Ones

Hi wbar2,
    I use two ubuntu (*), one is i386 (and I have a Lexmark X1195 printer that goes very fine) and the other is a amd64 which does not allow me to use the same printer.
    I've used the way showed in a post inside this forum where is indicated a way for a 32 system and a little variation for the amd64 one.

But, as I told before I've not been able to use my Lexmark on the second Ubuntu.

Do you have a suggestion for me, since I see that You have a Ubuntu 64 O.S.?

Sorry for my bad English, but I'm from Italy..................

Best Regards, have a nice day.

giocarra

edit : (*) I mean Lucid Lynx 10.04 32-bit and Lucid Lynx amd64 64-bit, of course.
    Last edited by giocarra; May 8th, 2010 at 08:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by giocarra View Post
    Hi wbar2,
    I use two ubuntu (*), one is i386 (and I have a Lexmark X1195 printer that goes very fine) and the other is a amd64 which does not allow me to use the same printer.
    I've used the way showed in a post inside this forum where is indicated a way for a 32 system and a little variation for the amd64 one.

But, as I told before I've not been able to use my Lexmark on the second Ubuntu.

Do you have a suggestion for me, since I see that You have a Ubuntu 64 O.S.?

Sorry for my bad English, but I'm from Italy..................

Best Regards, have a nice day.

giocarra

edit : (*) I mean Lucid Lynx 10.04 32-bit and Lucid Lynx amd64 64-bit, of course.
    The tutorial has been tested to work on 32-bit Lucid Lynx. I have attempted to get this to work on 64-bit, but I have not been able to. In the past I was able to install it after finding some libraries that were needed. It was libstdc++5. You might have to google around to find it. I'm not even sure if it will help. I may try to test it myself later this week.

Beans

you guys rock. I am very new to Linux, just did a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 and needed to hook up my Lexmark 4690. Instructions worked perfectly. The only thing I have to add is I had to go into the Terminal and do a sudo passwd to change the root pw from nothing to something. That resolved the problem of the install wizard not recognizing my password. I thought the root pw would have been the password I used when I did the install, but guess not. So far so good with Ubuntu.

Beans

Would this work for the x2600 series?

You linked from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1021755

thanks!
    Ubuntu user since 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Please share your experience with your Linux Printer!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MyR View Post
    Would this work for the x2600 series?

You linked from this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1021755

thanks!
    I'm not sure. I do know that the driver is different. The X2600 driver is located here (not the same as posted above):
    http://www.downloaddelivery.com/down...386.deb.sh.zip

I would think the process would be the same. The main issue is the installation script accepting your password. There are a few ways to do this. I just modified the tutorial above to what I think might be a better way. Try out the tutorial and let me know if it works and I will add your printer to this tutorial.

Beans

Thanks for the guide wbar2!

The wired installation for my Lexmark x4975 printer under Lucid went without a hitch.

The wireless setup didn't work for me however. When it asks you to select a driver it asks for a ppd file which is nowhere to be found and trying a driver from the list of provided ones resulted in an error when I tried to finish the setup wizard.

There was an easy fix though.

Go to System > Administration > Printers

After running the wired installation you'll have a new printer listed, e.g. Lexmark_4900_Series. Right-click on it and select Duplicate, give it a new name like "Lexmark_4900_Series_Wireless".

Right-Click again and select properties. In the field marked Device URI, enter socket://IP_ADDRESS_OF_PRINTER. Then close the window.

Beans

I can confirm that these instructions also work for the Z2420 - can now print both wired and wirelessly with Ubuntu Karmic. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: How To: Install Lexmark All-In-Ones

wbar2, Thank you very much. Have been try to get my Lexmark X7675 install since new driver came out. Have contacted Lexmark 3 times to no avail. Using the sudo passwd did the trick. Rest was easy installing the sh file.
    Thanks again and have a Great Life.

Paul

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by relapse View Post
    Thanks for the guide wbar2!

The wired installation for my Lexmark x4975 printer under Lucid went without a hitch.

The wireless setup didn't work for me however. When it asks you to select a driver it asks for a ppd file which is nowhere to be found and trying a driver from the list of provided ones resulted in an error when I tried to finish the setup wizard.

There was an easy fix though.

Go to System > Administration > Printers

After running the wired installation you'll have a new printer listed, e.g. Lexmark_4900_Series. Right-click on it and select Duplicate, give it a new name like "Lexmark_4900_Series_Wireless".

Right-Click again and select properties. In the field marked Device URI, enter socket://IP_ADDRESS_OF_PRINTER. Then close the window.

Thanks! I've updated the tutorial!

n.hinton is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How do you restore your root password back to the Ubuntu default? (i.e.same as after a fresh install)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast