Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people shift to debian?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

why do people shift to debian?

i was just wondering why most experienced users shift to debian from conventional linux OSes?

(p.s. i havent used debian, i do understand that ubuntu is based on debian and that it uses its packages)

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: why do people shift to debian?

For a start I've found it's a lot faster than Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think it has something to do with "stable packages".
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Myself, I used to use 32 bit Ubuntu and 64 bit Debian. Mainly to be able to help newish Linux people who, so I thought at the time, should use Ubuntu.

Unfortunately Ubuntu has decided to go radical towards a system that only relies on klickibuntu programs to do anything and actively work against what more professional Unix user use. An example is the bug report I raised about permissions for USB devices being changed so that you couldn't eject them based on group ownership anymore. I filed a formal bug report and it was closed based on "use GNOME programs".

I will not, ever, use setuid root programs, much less setuid root graphical programs, much less setuid root GNOME programs, to eject a USB drive when a non-setuid eject(1) commandline program in combination with the right permissions (have a group for people who can eject things) will do.

Don't get me wrong. Of course I didn't quit over this alone and if I wanted I could fix it with a couple udev rules. But it was an official move. I don't use an OS that makes such moves.

Not that Debian's udev rule changes don't put arrows in my back every second upgrade, too, but at least it's not by design.

Beans

Some would say Debian is more 'conventional' a Linux os than others...
    I'm a PC, and I don't run Windows...

Beans

And is alot easier to make your own Debian respin, than an Ubuntu respin (which is a constant rat race) - also, your Debian respin will be supported for a *MUCH* longer time than what Ubuntu is supported for.

Beans
    Hidden!

it makes them feel like more of a geek i guess. to be honest, debian isn't really all that hard to set up. i'm geek enough to do pretty much anything i want in linux, but prefer ubuntu. to me, using debian would be like downgrading, but for other people it is like "graduating". makes me laugh. kind of like,"look at me mommy, i'm using the big boy potty now!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    i was just wondering why most experienced users shift to debian from conventional linux OSes?

(p.s. i havent used debian, i do understand that ubuntu is based on debian and that it uses its packages)
    I'm curious what your definitions are for a convetional and unconventional linux os is?

BM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why do people beat dogs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would say of the two Ubuntu is the more unconventional one, whereas Debian is as conventional as you can get, it's boring, but it just plain works.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast