Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: why do people shift to debian?

Beans

Re: why do people shift to debian?

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    Faster, more stable, etc.

Even the testing version (Squeeze as of now.)
    It's only faster on really crappy computers. I've never had a crash on Ubuntu outside of a development release. You're generalizing.
    Last edited by swoll1980; April 2nd, 2010 at 06:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just recently got done with a week long trip to Debian. It took me nearly a full day to get all my hardware working under Debian - and then it was a pain to get anything recent working under Stable and then Squeeze ended up blowing up on me after a few days... Just my personal experience, but I all not be going back to it any time soon.

That being said - yes I have noticed for gaming at the very least that Ubuntu is slower than most other distros actually. Considering jumping back over to Fedora actually...

~Jeff

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    It's only faster on really crappy computers. I've never had a crash on Ubuntu outside of a development release. You're generalizing.
    Mine is really crappy, believe me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I use debian stable in a work environment because the packages are just that- stable, and frozen. I don't get an update which might break my system well...hardly ever...

There's a downside, but I'm not looking for bleeding edge on that machine. If it doesn't work when I boot it in the morning, I have roughly one hour to fix it or I fail to do my job. Job has a time limit and if a random update stops my video driver working, the 30 minutes I fix it 1) could stop me from completing my job and 2) Is time I would rather spend not working.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Stability is not related to crashing, at least not solely. Ubuntu is a less stable operating system because it changes at greater intervals, thereby increasing the chance of bugs or errors. Debian freezes applications at a much earlier stage and they are more stable for that reason. More tested and "vetted" versions.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why not...?

Beans

Oddly enough Ubuntu and Debian perform nearly the same on older hardware. (For me, I expected Debian to really rock Ubuntu). I was going to switch over to Debian, I do like the way it is released and the easy way to set up a rolling release. Ubuntu is a bit less hassle and a has some more out of the box polish. I have used Ubuntu for so long, I am not going to switch until I have a real reason to.

May Debian continue to thrive.

Beans

What speed difference, specifically, do people see between Debian and Ubuntu?

Given same kernel, no messing with parameters and same whatever desktop you use it should feel mostly the same, no?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    i was just wondering why most experienced users shift to debian from conventional linux OSes?

(p.s. i havent used debian, i do understand that ubuntu is based on debian and that it uses its packages)
    Personally, I dont think that debian is 'uncoventional'. IMOthat would be LFS (linux from scratch), or one of the sorcerer variants (lunar linux, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    Some of the reasons why I moved from Ubuntu to Debian:

1. It is lighter. A minimal Debian install contains less packages than a minimal Ubuntu install. As I work with old hardware, this means that Debian runs better on my computers, and also allows me to easily build up a system the way I like it.
    2. Debian has a longer release cycle than Ubuntu. I don't want to update every six months, but neither want to be stuck with 3 year old packages if you use LTS releases. Debian Testing is as good as a rolling release if you want it to be.
    3. Debian is more stable. Debian Stable is meant to be very stable, but Debian Testing is (in my experience) very stable too. Debian's main concern is not the latest or greatest, or a great design, but stability. I like a distro who has that as its main focus. Ubuntu's main focus with LTS releases is also not stability, just a longer support cycle (contrary to what is often thought).
    4. I don't use Gnome, so most of the innovations Ubuntu offers are irrelevant to me, as they affect Gnome and sometimes very little else. And some of the innovations that do affect non-Gnome users I really don't like.

I don't have any ill feelings towards Ubuntu. I just realised Debian was a lot closer to what I wanted my OS to be.
    +1. To everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    Faster, more stable, etc.

Even the testing version (Squeeze as of now.)
    Umm.....no, he isnt. If debian is faster on 'crappy computers' its also faster on newer boxen. Just because you dont feel doesnt mean that other people dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracauer View Post
    What speed difference, specifically, do people see between Debian and Ubuntu?

Given same kernel, no messing with parameters and same whatever desktop you use it should feel mostly the same, no?
    Its not just a kernel/desktop thing. The amount of packages makes a difference. I kniow, this isnt exactly 'fair' comparison becuase of Xfce not gnome, but I dont use gnome..ever...so I dont know the figures as well.

A normal xubuntu install runs at about 1100 packages, and with debian Xfce running at about 800 or so. It makes a difference.

In the defence of both parties, the 'doesnt make a difference' and 'yes it does' what one person might notice another will not. Eg- I upgraded my mums computer (XP- yes I know) from P3 800/512MB to AMD 2200+/1GB. I asked her if it ran any better, and she thought about it for a while..."no, not really- maybe a little bit faster to start GIMP" (yes, I'm trying to move her over LOL). Same thing goes for my housemate- from an Athlon 1200/512MB to an Athlon 2100+/1GB- "nope, I see no difference".

In both cases the upgrade felt A Heck Of A Lot Faster to me. Benchmarked faster well. Did they notice? Nope. Would I? Yes.
    Last edited by cascade9; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Oddly enough Ubuntu and Debian perform nearly the same on older hardware. (For me, I expected Debian to really rock Ubuntu). I was going to switch over to Debian, I do like the way it is released and the easy way to set up a rolling release. Ubuntu is a bit less hassle and a has some more out of the box polish. I have used Ubuntu for so long, I am not going to switch until I have a real reason to.

May Debian continue to thrive.
    I love your sig.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast