Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting Asus USB N13 in ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Setting Asus USB N13 in ubuntu 9.10

Hi everyone,
    I am not only VERY new to Ubuntu, but i am new to linux as well, so any answers to my question need to be as simple as possible, so i can understand it. Anyways, i need help setting up an Asus USB N-13 wireless adapter (when i plug it NOTHING happens (the light on the device doesn't even blink)). I was trying to use this (click me), but i got confused mid way through. Any help would be great.
    P.S. I have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Thanks in advanced,
    Ben
    Last edited by 828688 Ben; April 2nd, 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Setting Asus USB N13 in ubuntu 9.10

Please open Applications > Accessories > Terminal and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

benjamin@Ben-laptop:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0b05:1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    benjamin@Ben-laptop:~$

Beans
    Distro

I am not only VERY new to Ubuntu, but i am new to linux as well, so any answers to my question need to be as simple as possible, so i can understand it.
    Here we go! Remove the device from the USB slot. Open a terminal and do these commands; it is perfectly alright to copy and paste and proofread carefully. Spacing, case and spelling must be exact!
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules
    The text editor gedit will pop open as a new file. Type in one long line:
    Code:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0b05", ATTR{idProduct}=="1784", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -qba rt3070sta"
    Proofread carefully, save and close gedit.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf
    Type in one long line:
    Code:
    install rt3070sta /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install rt3070sta $CMDLINE_OPTS; /bin/echo "0b05 1784" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id
    Proofread carefully, save and close gedit. Detach the ethernet cable. Insert the USB device. Click the Network Manager icon and connect.

My thanks to poohstickz.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Unfortunately, it did not work.
    Here are some things that might help you, help me:

when i used windows xp, the usb wireless adapter would flash (it has a green light on it) when i plugged it in and when i used it, i have not seen it flash once now that have ubuntu (even after i tried your instructions).

after i unplugged my ethernet cable, the icon on the top of my screen that represents my internet connection show the wireless bars with an exclamation beside it.

initially, when i was setting up this device, when i was using windows xp, i used the cd that it came with to install the drivers. after installing the drivers from the cd, the usb device worked perfectly. however, when i updated the drivers to the most recent version (this is when i was using windows xp), the device failed to work, similarly to now (windows did not recognize that any device was plugged in and the green light did not flash). Maybe the newer drivers don't work?

I have also attached the linux drivers (these are drivers made for linux (they came from the included cd that i got with my wireless usb adapter)). Inside the zip file there is also (confusing and advanced) instructions on how to install these drivers in linux.

I hope this helps,
    Ben
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

I am very familiar with the Realtek-provided one size fits all Suse-Debian-Gentoo-whatever drivers. They work well less often than our built-ins.

I am sorry that you did not tell me that you already tried and failed with ndiswrapper. Of course, we will need to undo, even temporarily, that installation.

Please insert the device and do:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod -f ndiswrapper
    sudo modprobe rt3070sta
    Now click the Network Manager icon ("the icon on the top of my screen that represents my internet connection") and see if you see networks. Can you connect?

If it works, we will erase your faulty ndiswrapper installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It didn't work.

here's what happened---

benjamin@Ben-laptop:~$ sudo rmmod -f ndiswrapper
    benjamin@Ben-laptop:~$ sudo modprobe rt3070sta
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    FATAL: Module rt3070sta not found.
    sh: cannot create /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2870/new_id: Directory nonexistent
    FATAL: Error running install command for rt3070sta
    benjamin@Ben-laptop:~$

Sorry about not telling you about ndiswrapper, I completely forgot.
    Do you think that i should completely reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my computer and try this all again?

Thanks Again,
    Ben

Beans
    Distro

Do you think that i should completely reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my computer and try this all again?
    That's your choice. If you don't have much on it, it might be easier and faster than repairing what you now have. Please let me know what you decide.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Due to the fact that i just installed Ubuntu on my computer, i have decided to reinstall ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my system. I will retry your suggestions at the begining of this thread when the installation is complete.

P.S. don't worry this time i will not install ndiswrapper on my system

Thanks,
    Ben

Beans
    Distro

Ben-

We will be waiting! I look forward to your report of your success.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast