Thread: ubuntu studio install or upgrade?

Beans

ubuntu studio install or upgrade?

Is it better to do an install from a ubuntu studio 9.10 disk then upgrade from ubuntu 9.10?
    Does it really matter?

Beans

Re: ubuntu studio install or upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Krang the Brain View Post
    Is it better to do an install from a ubuntu studio 9.10 disk then upgrade from ubuntu 9.10?
    Does it really matter?
    If you know what you want, just get those things using synaptic, or PPAs,
    reducing clutter and possible conflicts. If you want the whole collection, you can use the studio meta-package from synaptic. If you have
    a separate /home partition, and you think a fresh install might clear out some weeds, you can keep most configurations by not formatting /home during a fresh install.

The old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, can save a lot of grief.
    If you can play and record now, I would just add things to test, one by one. The following should all work easily, and withjout conflicts:

Zynaddsubfx synth, linuxsampler/qsampler giga-format sample playback, phasex synth, fluidsynth/qsynth soundfont player, hydrogen drum machine/.wav pattern sequencer, and rakarrack multi-fx to create music,

For easy recording, timemachine, and audacity (for loading, editing, and converting timemachine w64 files), and additional recording.
    These will keep you busy, with professional quality results quite possible in capable hands.
    Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ubuntu studio install or upgrade?

Hell Krang the Brain, it doesn't really matter. Personally I prefer installing a plain Ubuntu and then I install everything I need on top of that.