Thread: Sane on Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sane on Windows

Is it possible to install the sane-backends package on Windows?

I need to do this so I can share a scanner connected to a Windows machine across the network for Windows and Linux clients running Xsane.
    Remember to mark your thread as SOLVED.
    Don't like the default Ubuntu themes? Try these.

Beans

Re: Sane on Windows

It seems possible, but not easy. And there's only SCSI support, so.... yep

http://www.zago.net/sane/windows/sane_on_windows.html

Theoretically it should be possible to compile the SANE backend on Windows... try reading README.windows in the source tarball.

Quick question: Why can't you connect the printer to a Linux host and use a SANE frontend (of which there are a few for Windows) instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have actually already seen the link that you have posted from googleing and I was going to try that but I asked here first to see if there was an easier way. It is a SCSI scanner so there should be no problems there.

Quick question: Why can't you connect the printer to a Linux host and use a SANE frontend (of which there are a few for Windows) instead?
    The scanner is currently set up on a Debian machine and works fine with sane shared across the network, I use Xsane as the frontend on Linux and Windows. The reason for wanting to run sane-backends on Windows is that I also have a printer (Epson R300) shared across the network on another machine that is running Windows, it runs Windows because I have never been able to set cups up correctly to print on CD's. This means I have to have two machines running, a print server and a scan server. I was hoping to connect the printer and scanner to the same machine so I would only have to have one running.
    Remember to mark your thread as SOLVED.
    Don't like the default Ubuntu themes? Try these.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mk1w86 View Post
    The scanner is currently set up on a Debian machine and works fine with sane shared across the network, I use Xsane as the frontend on Linux and Windows. The reason for wanting to run sane-backends on Windows is that I also have a printer (Epson R300) shared across the network on another machine that is running Windows, it runs Windows because I have never been able to set cups up correctly to print on CD's. This means I have to have two machines running, a print server and a scan server. I was hoping to connect the printer and scanner to the same machine so I would only have to have one running.
    Ah, understandable.