Thread: Help on Sapphire ATI HD 3850 AGP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Help on Sapphire ATI HD 3850 AGP

Hi!
    I have a Sapphire ATI HD 3850 AGP and I couldn't make it work on Ubuntu. It "works" without the drive, but if I install or update the system, the screen crashes without any possible recovery. Is there any way to make it work on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help on Sapphire ATI HD 3850 AGP

Looks like support was dropped after Ubuntu 8.10. With 8.10 you should be able to install it from the Hardware Driver program in the System>Administration menu.

Also the open source driver is close to supporting 3D with this. If you install Ubuntu 10.04 and update to the latest radeonhd version, it might work. http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd:INSTALL

I've got a CRT and I can't get that to work with Linux, with a DVI to VGA adapter, even with an older card that has both and works fine from the VGA. But the 8.10 install and the 10.04 both looked promising, didn't totally crash and looked like I just had the DVI to CRT issue. .

Love ot hear if you have any success.

Thanks all.

Edit: I had to do F4 and select safe graphics mode to get the liveCD to boot. The install worked fine from there. Found that via bug report.
    Last edited by WSmart; April 4th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Be real, be sober.

Beans

I'm having a similar issue, I can't get my card to work beyond basic functions. fglrx is only 300 or below and that just doesn't seem right.

MOBO: ASUS p4p800 se
    4gig Corsair
    p4 3.0 oc to 3.2
    ATI 3850 HD AGP.

thanks for any input.

Beans

Have any of you guys solved these issues?

Using an HIS IceQ HD3850 AGP myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can try 8.10 or the open source driver.

I bet the open source driver has 3D support now, but it might not automatically install yet. Could be they will have the same problems the AMD development team did and give up on it too. I don't know if the AMD development team has given up on it, entirely, but it be looking that way. That would mean AMD effectively dropped support for all AGP cards. They officially dropped support for the older cards after 7.10 Ubuntu.

One issue with 8.10, support for that will be dropping and then you won't be able to get the disc/image or updates, I believe, fyi.

Love to hear if this works for anyone.

Thanks
    Be real, be sober.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know this thread is old, but just wanted to mention that my Sapphire Radeon 3850 AGP just started working with fglrx (from official repos) under ubuntu 10.10 today. I vaguely remember that I tried installing fglrx when I first installed 10.10, and that it didn't work back then.

Just in case any of you guys still have problems, sitting on older ubuntus, or if someone googles and finds this post (like I did just now).

cheers!
    If global warming is caused by lack of pirates , all should be doing what they can to save the planet