Thread: Wired networking problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wired networking problems

It used to be the case that when I'd start my computer up, it would automatically log on to my home network and I could immediately get on-line. Now, when I boot up, the network icon doesn't even show up in the tray. I have to log out and log back in for it to show up there, and then I have to click it to manually connect via Auto eth0. Sometimes I have to physically disconnect the ethernet cable that's connected to my computer from the router and plug it back in to get things working. Please help, and keep in mind that I know little about networking.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit. I'm using a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router, which is connected to the internet through a cable modem.
    "Our bodies stirred with these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time."
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wired networking problems

Which version (release) were you running when "it would automatically log on to my home network"? The contortions you mention shouldn't be necessary - I skipped Intrepid, but the rest have worked without such efforts - though I've seen several threads that mention losing the NM icon...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been running 9.10 64-bit for three months now and before that I was running 9.10 32-bit on my old computer- this is the first time I've had these problems.
    "Our bodies stirred with these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time."
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

UPDATE: I shutdown my computer this morning and when I booted it up tonight, the network icon wasn't in the notification area (and still isn't), but my computer automatically connected to the network this time.

On a possibly related note, there are sometimes two volume icons in the notification area (there aren't right now), though only one of them acutally works. The other does nothing when clicked upon. I had the same problem when I was running 9.10 32-bit on my old computer.
    -Frank Herbert

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm... Begs the question: Do you fix what "seems" to be working (and risk messing it up again), or do you live with something that doesn't seem to be working entirely right?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net