Thread: ibm thinkpad i series runing any form of ubuntu?

Beans

ibm thinkpad i series runing any form of ubuntu?

ok im new to ubuntu and love it exept the lack of intel suport but thats besides the point i have athink pad iseries with 98mbs of ram and i realy want to pt a form of ubuntu onit even if i have to go to just linux ive tried to put 5.10 didnt work 5.04 install but wouldnt load grubs on restart and desided not to waist another cd on 4.04 i think it was untill i was sure what it could run plzz help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ibm thinkpad i series runing any form of ubuntu?

thinkwiki.org
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The I series are pretty crappy compared to other ThinkPads. You should find some more memory. I think all of them use SD RAM, which is very cheap second hand. Note the speed of the current modules and get something equally fast or faster. It's 66, 100 or 133 mhz, depending on CPU and chipsset.

Instead of the older versions you've tried, you should go for Xubuntu 9.10. It is optimized for older machines and uses xfce instead of gnome. It should give you a much better experience than Ubuntu 5.10. If you can't upgrade your RAM, then maybe danm small linux could be for you? http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Or wait about a month when Lubuntu is supposed to come out. Works on even lower specs than Xubuntu it seems.

Beans

well thank you for that info i just wanted to make an old machine my grandpa gave me to run faster i use a crap inspiron 1525 lol but i will try your guys ideas i might just have to wait i dont hae the money for ram and xubuntu would probably work on my old mac but do they do mac suport for xubuntu?(sorry trying 2 bring back to old machines to run faster then when they were new)