Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista will launch in November 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Windows Vista will launch in November 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Zotova
    I installed XP and Kubuntu the other weekend.

How many times has XP crashed given me a BSOD forcing me to restart? Zero

How many times has Kubuntu crashed forcing me to restart? Twice

How many programs have crashed in XP? Two

How many programs have crashed in Kubuntu? Five

Go figure.
    well at least compare it with a decent and at least reasonably reliable distro . kubuntu is seen as being one of the least stable distros of all. compare XP/vista with ubuntu or fedora or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    well at least compare it with a decent and at least reasonably reliable distro .
    The point was everything has its problems. Win and Lin, I'm just sick of seeing XP bashing be people who clearly don't know what they are on about.

That is not aimed at mstlyevil or youself btw

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Stability is a complex thing.

The Linux kernel is extremely stable.

The KDE and Gnome GUIs can be stable, but it's also very easy to de-stabilize them.

I had a perfectly fine-working KDE for months. Then, one day, I went to http://www.kde-look.org and downloaded one of the popular icon themes. I installed the theme through KControl, and all of sudden Konqueror was all screwed up (blank window that couldn't close).

The only obvious fix was to delete my ~/.kde directory.

If I hadn't installed that weirdo icon theme, though, it would have probably kept working for months afterwards just fine.

The problem is really that people who are new to Linux have to install and configure their own operating systems. The other problem (which is related) is that there are a lot of random-*** programs and icons and themes out there. Some are professionally put together. Some are literally put together by some guy in his basement.

Compare the stability of OpenOffice to SharpMusique, for example.

In the beginning, when you start using Linux, you have no idea what will screw up your system and what won't.

I guess it's similar to Windows in a way. The difference is that if you download something sketchy from Windows, you'll get spyware or adware. If you download something "sketchy" from Linux, you may have your entire desktop environment crash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zotova
    The point was everything has its problems. Win and Lin, I'm just sick of seeing XP bashing be people who clearly don't know what they are on about.

That is not aimed at mstlyevil or youself btw
    I already dealt with the bashers. It is time to let it go and do the happy dance.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I installed XP and Kubuntu the other weekend.

How many times has XP crashed given me a BSOD forcing me to restart? Zero

How many times has Kubuntu crashed forcing me to restart? Twice

How many programs have crashed in XP? Two

How many programs have crashed in Kubuntu? Five

Go figure.
    I dont want to bash, but this is begging for it, XP vs. Ubuntu

How many times has XP crashed given me a BSOD forcing me to restart?
    Crash With BSOD: Once
    Crash Without: Countless times

How many times has Ubuntu crashed forcing me to restart?
    2 or 3 times, caused by a bad driver

How many programs have crashed in XP?
    Countless

How many programs have crashed in Kubuntu?
    Several

However I cant say that program stability has much to do with the OS, but rather the creator of the program itself.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    Lets not steer this thread to a MSFT bash fest.
    You have to be carefull though..... Just like linux, BSD, OSX, etc, every OS has its good and bad points.

If pointing out the bad/giving a negative opinion is considered "MS Bashing" or "[Insert OS name here] Bashing" then we have one restricted forum on our hands! Personally, I think that accusing someone of "[Insert OS name here] Bashing" is just a cop out for ignoring their opinion *most* of the time.

I am a Windows XP Pro SP2 fan, its my primary OS! But I am of the opinion that most of Microsofts released this year are more geared to Microsofts new look than genuine prodactivity increases.

Yes, everyone can disagree with me and give me a clear list of each applications improvements, but IMHO they dont go far enough, and certainly dont make the average, or even business user more productive.

Example's:

**Vista's increased security**

Windows XP Pro SP2 with a good firewall, antispyware, and antivirus are just as secure as Vista. The only thing that Vista is better at is at protecting you from a spyware program in .exe format that you chose to download due to being tricked.

In an office environment, you probably wont have permissions to run .exe files on your computer anyway, so there's going to be very little benefit of vista there.

In a home environment, the majority of users wont get tricked.

So yes, Vista for example is an improvement in security, but really *WORTH* an upgrade?

IMHO......... no.

Oh, and this was NOT an "MS bash"

John
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans

I am not sure what to think about VISTA. Kinda looks nice IMHO. Of course looks like they kinda copied stuff from *nix systems. Which is prob why I think it looks good. Security?? They have proposed some good ideas, but the proof will be in the pudding. I will hold my sacasism until it is released.

XP, well many people claim its more stable. I will admit I never see the blue screen of death anymore. Now it just locks up.. M$'s security from SP2? PAIN IN THE ARSH!!! Bothersome crap gets on my last nerve.
    For those who like it, use it. XP is not for me...

Cheers,
    Joey
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Stability is a complex thing.

The Linux kernel is extremely stable.

The KDE and Gnome GUIs can be stable, but it's also very easy to de-stabilize them.
    Excellent point. The kernel itself is solidly built. The problem arises when the desktops that sit on top of that thing screw up. I've had my fair share of screw ups from Gnome and KDE, but I can't say that about the kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YourSurrogateGod
    Excellent point. The kernel itself is solidly built. The problem arises when the desktops that sit on top of that thing screw up. I've had my fair share of screw ups from Gnome and KDE, but I can't say that about the kernel.
    Good point as well.

One of the things I am looking for in Dapper is Xorg7, they have supposed to fix the stability of xorg when using the nVidia drivers. There for awhile I thought it was nVidias drivers, turns out it was a bug in X its self. I like many people have had constant xorg lock-ups when playing 3D games (even tux racer). This is the only stability issues I have encountered and this is cross distro issue from what I have seen.

Cheers,
    Joey
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Hidden!

I hope Vista and all the other releases end up being an even greater product than what their predecessors already are. Personally, I wait to get a hold of Microsoft Office 2007 way more than I want to get a hold of Windows Vista, although I want that too.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast