Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MLB.TV Nexdef Plug-In for Ubuntu???

Beans

Re: MLB.TV Nexdef Plug-In for Ubuntu???

Quote Originally Posted by Tevla View Post
    Firstly, the download link may not work for you, as it is wonky JavaScript. The download link is: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/nexd...definstall.dmg (As of 4/14/2011)

The following commands are how I did it:

1. Navigate to your Downloads folder.
    2. Do the following commands; if you don't have the programs, install them.
    Code:
    dmg2img mlbnexdefinstall.dmg
    sudo modprobe hfsplus
    mount -t hfsplus -o loop mlbnexdefinstall.img /mnt
    cp /mnt/MLB.TV\ NexDef\ Plug-in.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz .
    gzip -d Archive.pax.gz
    pax -r < Archive.pax
    cd Library/Application Support/Swarmcast/lib 
    java -Xmx128m -jar ./autobahn.jar
    It works for me, so I hope if works for you! Let it run in Terminal while your MLB.TV is running.

Good luck. Go Cubs.

KICK *** MAN it works!!!

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9...eenshot1fz.jpg

theres a screen shot showing i have access to all the HD feeds, i cant wait till the games start later today to try out the live DVR, damn this is awesome.

yo, do you know how to get the octoshape plugin for the nba league pass to work on linux too?

its a lil different cause they actually dont even have a place to download the app, it just automatically pops up if you're running windows and possibly mac's, but its NOT the same plugin that you get from octoshape.com its specifically distrubted thru nba.com

even tho the season is over, thats the only other sports package which i use that has these limited features unless you have the "special plugin"

but these plugins are complete crap anyways and really unnecessary, cause i get the NFL Rewind too which gives you all these features, including 3000kbps highest HD feed and dvr features an everything right with the default adobe flash player, no other plugins needed.

but thanx for finding the 2011 nexdef.
    Last edited by eival; April 15th, 2011 at 04:56 PM.

Beans

oh man that synced radio and tv feature is gonna be awesome when the yankees play on FOX or ESPN on the weekends i no longer have to listen to the idiot announcers who dont even know anything about the teams and just mumble generic banter

Beans

Thedaver: I would probably advise against using WINE for this purpose, unless you have a really compelling reason to do so. It looks to me like Nexdef is a stream sniffer, and waits to be activated once the MLB.TV stream kicks off. Moreover, its a background process, so even on Windows it won't do anything tangible when you run it. I don't know if two instances of WINE have full awareness of the other, or if they exist separately.

I would suggest using what I posted; it really is quite easy, and if you get a program not found just use sudo apt-get install; their packages are named the same as their programs. Plus, the NexDef plugin uses a lot of CPU, so it is probably superior to run it natively in Linux. If Pat Hughes and Keith Moreland knew the lengths we go to to hear them synched to TV, I'm sure they'd be impressed.

Eival: I am not sure that the Octoshape plugin is different from the one on the NBA website, but it seems that using it with Linux is not the same. You have to tell Octoshape what stream you want it to run, then which will then open your preferred media player and not within the browser. I found this information here. Determining the webstream address can be very difficult for these league websites, and sometimes do not allow multiple instances. I think these guys are on the right track here. I don't subscribe to NBA LP, but I usually use the free trial in October, so perhaps I will revisit it then.

Good luck (but not to the Yankees )!

Beans

Eival: I am not sure that the Octoshape plugin is different from the one on the NBA website, but it seems that using it with Linux is not the same. You have to tell Octoshape what stream you want it to run, then which will then open your preferred media player and not within the browser. I found this information here. Determining the webstream address can be very difficult for these league websites, and sometimes do not allow multiple instances. I think these guys are on the right track here. I don't subscribe to NBA LP, but I usually use the free trial in October, so perhaps I will revisit it then.

Good luck (but not to the Yankees )!
    na i actually emailed nba and octoshape at the beginning of the NBA season last NOV and they told me that the nba league pass plugin is different from the octoshape player from octoshape.com

the problem is, theres no place to actually manually download it, its just one of those automatic plugin checks that nba.com does but if you're not on windows or mac it never comes up.

unless someone who has a mac and league pass would be able to locate a similar jar file then it should be similar to use like this NEXDEF.

but i as i said earlier ITT, i found out that the Roku player now has League Pass streamning, so i can stream the games in HD plus it lets me have all the live dvr controls, so its not that big of a deal.

i prolly wont get league pass anyways cause their archived games blackout restrictions are really bad compared to MLB.TV, you cant rewatch ANY regional games, and none of the ABC/ESPN/TNT and those fan night games on NBA TV as well as any other random schedualed NBA TV games are permantly blackedout, which is like 50% of the season and 99% of the best games each year.

not to mention on top of all this they charge close to $200, MLB.TV is only $100 with 2x as many games and no blackouts an a better interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Firstly, the download link may not work for you, as it is wonky JavaScript. The download link is: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/nexd...definstall.dmg (As of 4/14/2011)

The following commands are how I did it:

1. Navigate to your Downloads folder.
    2. Do the following commands; if you don't have the programs, install them.
    Code:
    dmg2img mlbnexdefinstall.dmg
    sudo modprobe hfsplus
    mount -t hfsplus -o loop mlbnexdefinstall.img /mnt
    cp /mnt/MLB.TV\ NexDef\ Plug-in.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz .
    gzip -d Archive.pax.gz
    pax -r < Archive.pax
    cd Library/Application Support/Swarmcast/lib 
    java -Xmx128m -jar ./autobahn.jar
    It works for me, so I hope if works for you! Let it run in Terminal while your MLB.TV is running.

Good luck. Go Cubs.
    If I could pay you for this information I would. Instead I'll just root for the Cubs when they aren't playing the Red Sox. Cheers!

Beans

All was well until this:

$ cd Library/Application Support/Swarmcast/lib
    bash: cd: Library/Application: No such file or directory
    $

What am I missing?

Thanx in advance. (Can't wait to see the Phillies win in High Def...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thaumielx72 View Post
    All was well until this:

$ cd Library/Application Support/Swarmcast/lib
    bash: cd: Library/Application: No such file or directory
    $

What am I missing?

Thanx in advance. (Can't wait to see the Phillies win in High Def...)

just go to Places > Home Folder > Library > Application Support > Swarmcast > lib >

then paste this code into the terminal but dont hit enter

Code:
    java -Xmx128m -jar
    make sure to add a space at the end then drag the autobahn.jar file into the terminal and hit enter.

plus you can move that autobahn.jar file to your desktop for quicker access in the future if you want.

EDIT- you may have to restart your browser for the plugin to work
    Last edited by eival; April 16th, 2011 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

after using the plugin the last few days i must say i notice theres a few issues.

first, i can no longer run mlb.tv in more than 1 browser window, it crashes the flash plugin in the first window every time, the 2nd window game will keep going tho. this even happens when i use 2 different browsers (chrome/firefox/opera) ive never seen the flash plugin be effected by the other browser cause ive flash crash in the past for different reasons but the other browser still works.

i can still open mlb.tv in multiple windows when nexdef isnt running. (if you dont understand what i mean, you can use the single player "mosaic view" of 2 or 4 games, but i like to open 2-4 browser windows and watch 2-4 games in the larger default size on my desktop it fits perfectly on my 20" 1080p monitor)

also another issue i noticed, if im streaming a game in nexdef then while browsing on the internet in a seperate browser(i use Chrome for the games an FF for my everyday browser) if a site has any streaming flash content, sometimes it resets the game back to the beginning and ive even seen it switch to the normal non-nexdef feed. although it could just be that the nexdef being disabled is what also causes the stream to start back at the beginning.

has anyone else noticed these issues?

i guess i should email mlb about it too but when they find out im running it in linux they'll probably just give me the generic, "we cant provide help since our plugin doesnt officially support linux"
    Last edited by eival; April 18th, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

Beans

todays update for Chrome(11.0.696.65) fixed the issue of multiple windows running games with the nexdef plugin crashing.

http://yfrog.com/mqscreenshot7cj

Beans

Thanks so much for the Nexdef fix. I have noticed one problem. I have a laptop with an i3 and Intel HD 3000 graphics. On Win7, Nexdef works very well. On 11.04, Nexdef is very choppy and, IMO, unwatchable. I was wondering if anyone else was having performance issues with the Nexdef switch, or if it could be a problem with the Intel HD 3000 drivers?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast