Thread: timestamps

Beans

timestamps

Finally got Ubuntu One to sync on my netbook running Lucid, but have noticed that all the files on my netbook have a timestamp of today (or whatever time I downloaded/sync'd them).

Is this correct, if I check the web interface they all have the timestamps I expect to see.... ie the correct creation date/time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: timestamps

Quote Originally Posted by apacheuk View Post
    Finally got Ubuntu One to sync on my netbook running Lucid, but have noticed that all the files on my netbook have a timestamp of today (or whatever time I downloaded/sync'd them).

Is this correct, if I check the web interface they all have the timestamps I expect to see.... ie the correct creation date/time.
    This is correct. When you sync a new computer the files that are downloaded will show the current timestamp.

Thank you,

Joshua

Beans

Even if this is an old thread I'll reply just to give my opinion to future web searchers.

Is this a design choice? If I sync to a new laptop, I want to "look for that file I worked with John two months ago". It's impossible to do so with all timestamps changed.

Dropbox doesn't wipe out file dates...

Beans

All my timestamps were updated by UbuntuOne a few days ago (March 2012) to the sync time, not the modification time. This is braindead behaviour if it's intentional. If it's a bug then it's unforgiveable.

I NOW NO LONGER KNOW WHICH FILES WERE WORKED ON LAST

UBUNTUONE HAS LOST VALUABLE INFORMATION OF MINE.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psb777 View Post
    This is braindead behaviour if it's intentional. If it's a bug then it's unforgiveable.
    especially considering it should be easy to fix. I really don't understand to problem about not supporting it.

It's the main reason that keeps me from using Ubuntu One. (I'm currently subscribed to a 20GB plan, but I don't even use it, because I don't want to lose my metadata. What a shame)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by StarWarrior View Post
    It's the main reason that keeps me from using Ubuntu One.
    Yes, it's the main reason that keeps me from using Ubuntu One, too!

I've just tried Ubuntu One and I was disappointed to see that it modifies the date time stamp of uploaded files. In this way it's simply unusable!