Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

Somehow I don't think $20 per installation would cover the license fees. The fact that the Fluendo licenses these codecs for significantly more than $20 is indicative that this plan would operate at a loss (Fluendo does work with OEMs, but under a NDA).

MS charges a significant sum for it's OS. Because of the scaled economy, MS can probably do so a much lower cost per license than small OS distributors (we'll never know for sure, NDAs and such).

On top of that, I don't recall Flash ever being distributed except directly from Macromedia/Adobe. Might be trouble there.

So, would I pay $20 for Ubuntu? Yes, if that was the only way to get Ubuntu (but I would probably stick to LTS).

Would I pay $20 for a persistent multimedia license that included CSS? Yes, but then I'm also the type of guy who actually has an FCC license for my GMRS radio.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheblu View Post
    On top of that, I don't recall Flash ever being distributed except directly from Macromedia/Adobe. Might be trouble there.
    I think it was distributed by Sun, on Solaris 10 DVD. But that's it, nobody else.

On Topic:

I would not pay anything for Ubuntu if includes proprietary software. I would not even use it for free if they stuff more proprietary software beyond firmware.

However, I heard that book about Ubuntu is being written. I would probably buy it when it comes out. And also, someone mentioned DVD with documentation and manual. I would also like to pay for that. Not that I really need it, but it would make nice gift.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

I have posted on other threads about this subject.

I believe that there SHOULD be a DVD offered with all/most of the necessary codecs, specifically targeting the beginning Ubuntu user. Hopefully this would help the new user get a better start with a new OS with which they may not be that familiar with.

I also believe that if the software would be offered on DVD, there would be room to offer a small script or application that would detect the Broadcom version of wireless chips and either have a generic driver on the DVD or if possible go to the internet and fetch the correct driver for these apparently hard to configure wireless devices.

Anything to make Ubuntu easier for the beginning Ubuntu user to install and get the OS up and running with as much of the hardware supported as possible would be a great goal to accomplish.

I would support a project of this nature monetarily via a small contribution if possible.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

This is a very good question. $20 dollars is nothing to pay when you compare it with the price of Windows or OSX. However, if you did have to pay just $20 for ubuntu, it starts to go against everything that ubuntu stands for.

About the drivers DVD, thats a good idea, but I also agree with steveneddy that there SHOULD be one already, and I too would contribute to it if needed.

If it came down to it, yes, I would pay $20 for it, I'd pay more then that if needed. But end where would it end? Once we start paying for the OS, the software and others bits, we may as well rename it windows.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans

I wouldn't pay a cent for license fees, but if Ubuntu were proprietary I would pay. (If there were no other alternatives?)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234