Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

I would "donate" but not "purchase". And only if it came from Canonical and not a third party.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Do I think Ubuntu is worth $20? Absolutely! Would I pay for it? Probably not.
    - Stay Gold

Beans

i would never have tried it if it cost money. but do i think it's worth $20? probably would rather buy a ubuntu hoodie and wear it around town trying to gain converts though
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would probably/definitely pay for it, but you seem to miss the entire point of OPEN SOURCE!
    Newbies are funny... =D

That being said, a project called Super Ubuntu packages a lot of popular codecs along with the normal Ubuntu installation. It has probably already been said, I just don't want to bother looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    Also paying for the Codecs would remove any legal issues...
    Not necessarily. It's not about cost, it's about licensing. It's only legal to get those codecs from someone who's licensed to distribute them eg: Fluendo.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd jump ship for Debian.

Beans

Let me put it this way. Ubuntu promised to be free of charge, and that is excellent. I would probably switch to a community run distro if they went back on that promise. What I do want are Ubuntu based services from Canonical, like the box set I mentioned. I would like to see some I personally could take advantage of (I am my own tech support). We are starting to see that with Ubuntu One, and the music store. Hopefully the Ubuntu manual project takes off and distibutes printed copies.

Paying for Ubuntu itself like I said would just lead to variants that everyone would use like CentOS. What you really pay for with something like SLES and Red Hat are the services, and reliability. I do not think Canonical would charge for Ubuntu itself.

Beans

Ubuntu is fantastic, but I wouldn't dream of paying for it. Who would pull $20 Ubuntu off the shelf when $0 Debian is sitting right next to it?

If there was no way to get a decent OS for less than $20 then I'd pay for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

well it's not sound as ubuntu spirit no i never do that when i get this much for free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nope.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast