Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

I was thinking... would you guys buy an Ubuntu DVD for $20 if it came with:

All the Codecs (Including Encrypted DVD enabled) - the cost of liscensing the codecs would be included with the $20

Adobe Flash, Reader ect...

The propriety drivers for a large range of the nVidia and ATI Cards on the DVD, so when one installs Ubuntu, the drivers are automatically installed.

Extra drivers for other hardware that cannot be included on a CD for space reasons.

And finally, extra applications to use the extra DVD space... Such as put GIMP back on, Blender3D etc... not too many, but some.

Any ideas?? Would you buy it? If it included postage and handling??
    My Proxy
    A-L2

Beans

Re: Would you pay $20 for Ubuntu??

If I had to pay $20 to use Ubuntu I would pay it in a heart beat. I would pay $100 for it if I had to. They would have to let me upgrade for several years though of course. Would I pay $20 knowing I don't have to? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    If I had to pay $20 to use Ubuntu I would pay it in a heart beat. I would pay $100 for it if I had to. They would have to let me upgrade for several years though of course. Would I pay $20 knowing I don't have to? No.
    Ahh ok, the idea that for a new user, they wouldnt have to worry about setting up any of the things to get Ubuntu to a useable state.. flash, codecs, dvd encryption GPU drivers etc... for any advanced users, they could still download ubuntu, just without them included. Also paying for the Codecs would remove any legal issues...
    My Proxy
    A-L2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    I am still new but so far I 2nd all the way.

Read your 2nd post, not because of setting up but for all the work that has gone into Linux as a whole. I am just testing Ubuntu now and find the setup helpful in the learning curve of something new. Maybe just donate to Linux.
    Last edited by toyoracer; March 31st, 2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: 2nd thought

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yup. I already order the CD, i'm gonna buy support later on to help.
    Running a forum? Check out MyBB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zeealpal View Post
    Ahh ok, the idea that for a new user, they wouldnt have to worry about setting up any of the things to get Ubuntu to a useable state.. flash, codecs, dvd encryption GPU drivers etc... for any advanced users, they could still download ubuntu, just without them included. Also paying for the Codecs would remove any legal issues...
    They would. Hardest part about that would be convincing someone who has never used it that it's worth $20. If they knew how great it was, say their buddy has it or whatever. I could see people paying $20 for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

It is not paying I mind it is freedom. If Ubuntu charged money someone would just take the whole thing and repackage it for free. However charging for install media and services I would gladly pay.

I hope Canonical makes a boxed DVD like Novell does, with a great installer, choose between Gnome KDE XFCE LXDE (depending on space). Get common software for each, and a nice printed manual. I would pay around 100 for that and I would buy two if it were less and give one as a gift. The software center could be set up to recognize the media and give it a cool icon then enable it as a software source for your installed Ubuntu. If not every 6 months perhaps every LTS they do the DVD?

I could finally look forward to a nice software package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I would donate to various projects but not pay 20$ for a Ubuntu DVD. Even if you buy that DVD you would probably download hundreds of MB of updates during the first installation.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No. I would jump ship. I quite like Fedora.

I have considered buying the codecs, but being forced to buy them in order to use Ubuntu doesn't fit well with me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will pay more with a smile. I paid for my SuSE and Mandriva discs.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast