Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build

Beans

Exclamation New Build

Hi All.

I am starting on my 2nd Build right now, I will be dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 (for gaming). I have a budget of $600, and I think that my build is pretty good. I want to keep it for AT LEAST 3 years with minimal upgrading for casual to heavy gaming. If someone can find a way to trim the rest of the parts so I can get a better GPU setup, I would be very happy. The reason I am doing 2x 550ti's is the fact that I have one on my first build that I am going to steal to do SLI.

My Build is:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/urHB

I already have an ODD and a HDD. Please let me know if there are any issues with compatibility or any better builds out there. I want to keep everything on Newegg.

Thanks All!

AM98

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Build

Hi there i prefer amd its cheaper and lasts long plus you also can get more kick for less money anyway there are always things you can trim like the ram see here http://pcpartpicker.com/part/geil-memory-gp38gb1333c9dc

Beans

I've used AMD heavily in the past, but I would use Intel/Nvidia if I was building a system today. The i5-3570(k) is an awesome beast and worth the money for those who don't want to upgrade annually.

The build looks pretty good to me. I think you did your homework and made sacrifices in the right areas (case, PSU) without going to unreliable bargain-basement stuff. Personally, I would use the stock CPU cooler (assuming you're not OC'ing) and go for a GTX 660 like so: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130825

EDIT: Oh, sorry, didn't see that you had 2 GTX550's in SLI.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    I've used AMD heavily in the past, but I would use Intel/Nvidia if I was building a system today. The i5-3570(k) is an awesome beast and worth the money for those who don't want to upgrade annually.

The build looks pretty good to me. I think you did your homework and made sacrifices in the right areas (case, PSU) without going to unreliable bargain-basement stuff. Personally, I would use the stock CPU cooler (assuming you're not OC'ing) and go for a GTX 660 like so: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130825

EDIT: Oh, sorry, didn't see that you had 2 GTX550's in SLI.
    Thanks. Will the 550ti's in SLI be faster than the 660? Or I could push my budget about $10 more, would I be able to get a better deal from an AMD/ATI GPU? I will likely not be OC-ing... I had just heard some things about how poor the cooler was, so I added the aftermarket one.
    Last edited by Anniemoose98; December 27th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemoose98 View Post
    Thanks. Will the 550ti's in SLI be faster than the 660? Or I could push my budget about $10 more, would I be able to get a better deal from an AMD/ATI GPU? I will likely not be OC-ing... I had just heard some things about how poor the cooler was, so I added the aftermarket one.
    hey check this out this amd motherboard supports sli plus 8 core cpu see here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/usH7

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by madinc View Post
    hey check this out this amd motherboard supports sli plus 8 core cpu see here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/usH7
    the mb also has CrossFire Support

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madinc View Post
    the mb also has CrossFire Support
    Will the 650's be more powerful than the 550ti's? Also, what advantages does the AMD processor/mobo have over the Intel ones besides price? Which one performs better?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemoose98 View Post
    Will the 650's be more powerful than the 550ti's? Also, what advantages does the AMD processor/mobo have over the Intel ones besides price? Which one performs better?
    yes the 650 are more powerful and the amd cpu/mobo for the cpu is much faster than the one you choose and the price is a good factor if you want more gpu power and the mobo supports both sli and crossfire which is a good thing but this is only my opinion i also build PC's and for me amd all the way but tell later what you end up with cheers.

Beans

Ok, thanks. I will await the other poster's reply on the Intel side and compare to find the best deal and setup. I do have one question... Will I be able to get a better GPU if I go AMD? Would it be more optimized for an AMD build?

Thanks,

AM98

Beans

I wouldn't mess with SLI (in Linux or Windows) unless I needed two high-powered GPUs to drive one or more huge displays. I would keep the 550 for the moment and see how it handles your gaming workload. It will probably be sufficient if you're running at a modest resolution. That way, you can save money up for your next GPU and sell the 550.

Also, what advantages does the AMD processor/mobo have over the Intel ones besides price?
    None. Intel performs better and does so with less wattage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast