Thread: Exclusive Gnome Desktops

Beans

Exclusive Gnome Desktops

I'm a web developer and it would really help me a great deal if I could click the Desktop Pager control and get an exclusive set of desktop icons for each. Just having exclusive windows isn't cutting it for me. You see, I have to switch gears between two separate projects between two client partners who could call me at any moment, and I need something that lets me jump right over to their stuff.

How is this achieved?
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you

Beans

Re: Exclusive Gnome Desktops

From what I can tell here it seems that you will need to have visual effects disabled for this functionality to work.

Beans

To clarify further, I do not know of any way you could set icons for the pager, but you can in fact give them labels.

Beans

So, to clarify, you would like each workspace show a different set of desktop icons?

As far as I know, there is no way to do this, but perhaps someone will have a way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    So, to clarify, you would like each workspace show a different set of desktop icons?

As far as I know, there is no way to do this, but perhaps someone will have a way.
    Exactly. That's what I want. I click inside the desktop pager to get a new workspace, and get an exclusive set of desktop icons -- not just an exclusive set of windows.

The only way I can see to do this is to create a folder called Desktop1 and another called Desktop2 in my home directory. Instead of putting icons on my real desktop, I put them in Desktop1 and Desktop2. I keep that window open in each workspace. Then, when I click the workspace pager, it flips between two sets of "desktop" icons when in fact they are really not.

Oh well, I guess this is a feature I'd like to request from the Gnome Nautilus team.
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you