Thread: Thunderbird inconsistent in opening attachments (.pdf .doc etc)

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thunderbird inconsistent in opening attachments (.pdf .doc etc)

Hi

This has been bothering me since I installed the first mozilla build of Thunderbird 3.

I frequently receive e-mails with a .pdf attachment.

Sometimes I can right-click on the attachment and ask Thunderbird to open it. It then identifies Adobe Acrobat as the associated programme and asks me if it can open it with the reader.

Other times it does not do that. It does not identify the reader and only gives me the option to save the file. Once I've saved the file I need to navigate to the file and open it independently.

I cannot work out why it will do this with some .pdf files and not with others.

This sometimes happens with .doc files that would usually automatically open in OpenOffice.org.

I don't know how to fix this. Am I just going mad? Or are others experiencing the same issues?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Thunderbird inconsistent in opening attachments (.pdf .doc etc)

I have the same issue, and also have not yet found an explanation that works.

I have a Dell Inspiron running 9.10 with Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 with Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. I also have Clamav installed.
    Some emails with a PDF attachment have an icon that associates them with Adobe Reader, and others do not. There is no consistent difference in the file name convention. Some files have spaces, some are long file names (20 characters), but consistently they all have a lowercase .pdf extension.
    It seems quite random that some are correctly identified. Others provide only the option to open with Virus Scanner, or save to file system.

If I save them to the file system and then double-click them they open fine.

Does anyone have a good explanation as to why some files work and others do not.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same here. And it's the same with Lucid!!! It's driving me crazy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Seems like a problem with thunderbird itself. You'll probably have better luck asking on the mozilla forums directly.

Beans
    Distro

[SOLVED] (for Thunderbird 3.0)

Download Gnome open here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...rd/addon/12523

Restart Thunderbird and install that add on from Tools>Add-ons

Bigity, Boom

Beans

Just wanted to say Gnome Open - what a time and hair saver! Brilliant stuff.