Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adobe flash low fps issue amd64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Adobe flash low fps issue amd64

I observe that there are some big issues with flash under ubuntu 64 that when I was using Windows I didn't had. Everytime I experience low fps and basicly everything is messed up. What can I do to fix this? I found out that this is a common problem for everyone in the linux world but how can we fix this? I heard a lot of people saying"well...i use gnu/linux but have flash issues, asked why and they told me...well this is it if you don't like it ....use other things..."This issn't a reply that a linux user should give. I know open source is a "best effort service" but...this is not the way someone should answer. Anyway, right here and right now, what progress has been done exactly? Were can people help and with what?
    thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Adobe flash low fps issue amd64

Flash is an Adobe product, not created by anyone in the open source world. The best you can hope for is Adobe to fix it.

nspluginwrapper originally used a Windows version of Flash to work on Linux, now we have a native version (even 64-bit, which took forever to come out). But while 10.1 supports h.264 hardware acceleration on Windows, I don't see any of that in the 64-bit beta versions of 10.1. They make reference to "hardware acceleration" but that's about it.

Until Adobe makes its code more Linux-friendly, there's not much we can really do.

Edit: I might add, I agree with you that flash is terrible right now. With vdpau, I can watch a 1080i stream from my cable box in fullscreen mode and use up only 10-15% of -one core- of my processor, but a SD Flash stream via Hulu Desktop is choppy and jerky even windowed and taps one of my cores out to 98% (and can't multi-thread, so the other sits idle). There's NO reason for this, especially when cell phones can now do Flash video. My machine isn't the latest and greatest, but it's far from incapable.
    Last edited by Calmor; March 30th, 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I understand, thank you for the answer. I heard also about gnash. I'm a beginner, not an advance user but I'm just courious, could I replace flash with gnash on my ubuntu amd64 machine to get better fps?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aloprot View Post
    I understand, thank you for the answer. I heard also about gnash. I'm a beginner, not an advance user but I'm just courious, could I replace flash with gnash on my ubuntu amd64 machine to get better fps?
    gnash / swfdec is largely imcomplete, and the last time I checked, it only works w/ youtube. p.s. have you tried the 64-bit version of flash? the version you download by default from the ubuntu repos is the 32 bit version, and the 64 bit version may perform better. if you wanna try, see my signature.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks carlee, tried the 64bit version but the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Compiz somehow interferes with flash performance. Try disabling it temporarily, and see how flash performs.

Code:
    metacity --replace

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tried this aswell but still the same experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HI

Adobe

RECOMMENDED HARDWARE FOR STANDARD- AND HIGH-DEFINITION (HD) VIDEO PLAYBACK
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

Do you have minimum hareware for intended use?

As far as cellphone, a 2" screen requires a lot less to render than say a laptop.

Adobe flash is proprietary soft ware, and you should be filing a complaint with them if you are having problems. Its Adobe that doesn't give Linux the same experience as Microsoft.

Sharky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

4gb ram and a t4300 intel processor on a Dell. So system requirements are more than enought. I think that if I'm the only one complaining then adobe will probably or 100%ignore me but if more people I don't know, make a petiton or something they can raise aware of this issue. If not I hope that gnash or other problem will make flash player not needed anymore in order to whatch videos on youtube, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by aloprot View Post
    I observe that there are some big issues with flash under ubuntu 64 that when I was using Windows I didn't had. Everytime I experience low fps and basicly everything is messed up.
    Perhaps you do not have the correct driver installed? Just a thought. The last that I checked, the open source drivers were much slower than the graphics card's vendor's drivers.

I found that I was getting roughly 60 FPS on a simple test with the "ati" open source driver, but using the fglrx driver (from ATI) yielded about 3500 FPS.

quadproc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast