Thread: Netbook useful info before buying

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Netbook useful info before buying

I'm using laptop right now and I want to get the advantage and disadvantage of the neetbook.

I also want to know if laptop get more heat (temperature) than netbook or it is the same? I know that netbook is much lighter becoz of the size, but I also want some infos =)

do some netbook have dedicated video card?

how about the compatibility issues? any issues for netbook using linux?

thanks
    squeeze it and release it =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Netbook useful info before buying

The only ones with dedicated graphics are the ones based on the Nvidia ION chipsset. They are MUCH faster than their GMA950 counterpart and are able to decode 720p video, which the normal Atom/GMA950 combo can't do. You should definitely go for one of thoose or wait for the new ION2 platform.

Most netbooks are based on pretty much the same hardware and are well supported by Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thank you for info =)

in our country the netbooks are getting high demand and the price goes up. last year and this year is big different even on the same models.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This summer a whole bunch of new netbooks and tablets running linux will begin shipping worldwide.
    Microcenter has refurbished EEPC for $199 and refurbished Aspire One for $229 here in the US.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Avoid the Samsung N130. Its wireless chip isn't supported OOtB.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for the infos =)

Beans
    Hidden!

I've just installed UNE (formerly UNR) 10.04 rc on Samsung N130 with Atheros AR9285 Wireless and everything worked smoothly right from the start. To mention some other things I din't have problems with: wired LAN, suspend, hibernate, external monitor, camera and sound(in,out).
    Last edited by raddik; April 26th, 2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add more comments

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Fafler View Post
    The only ones with dedicated graphics are the ones based on the Nvidia ION chipsset. They are MUCH faster than their GMA950 counterpart and are able to decode 720p video, which the normal Atom/GMA950 combo can't do. You should definitely go for one of thoose or wait for the new ION2 platform.

Most netbooks are based on pretty much the same hardware and are well supported by Ubuntu.

Of course you might want to ask yourself why you would want to decode hi def video on a netbook. If you are connecting your netbook to a hi def tv or fancy monitor, it's something you will want. But if you are running videos on on a netbook screen, standard def is fine.

I have a dual-core atom/ion nettop for my hdtv, but gma950 is more than enough to watch videos on my netbook.