Thread: GTK Record My Desktop Ruins Audio Sync

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

GTK Record My Desktop Ruins Audio Sync

I should mention this report is in Ubuntu 10.04, though this also happens in Ubuntu 9.10, but if i play around with the FPS in 9.10 i can get a balance between audio and video, but with 10.04 doesn't seem to work at all.

When using gtk-recordmydesktop to obviously record my desktop i turn on "encode on the fly", and my recorded video moves too fast for the audio and loses sync, video ends about 2x faster than the audio itself.

If i leave the encode on the fly off, then my video is choppy (less choppy with compiz off) but still a distraction.

my graphics card info is as so:
    Code:
    *-display:0
                 description: VGA compatible controller
                 product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
                 vendor: Intel Corporation
                 physical id: 2
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
                 version: 03
                 width: 64 bits
                 clock: 33MHz
                 capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
                 configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
                 resources: irq:30 memory:fc100000-fc1fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:1800(size=8)
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    Any idea? i've had bugs here and there with this graphics card though the basics of ubuntu works with it... its just the small things that pester me..
    When you first dont succeed, google- google again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: GTK Record My Desktop Ruins Audio Sync

I remember seeing in the documentation, some time ago, that setting audio and video each to 50% achieves the best results. The default setting is 100% each. As far as recording desktop effects, I never had great results...maybe my processors have always been too slow. But I have been able to make good a/v recordings by starting cheese and running gtk-recordmydesktop on the cheese window...much better than what the cheese record feature can produce.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I had this problem and couldn't solve it, even after several long google sessions.

I wound up using a separate program to record the audio, and then using one of the many encoding programs (I think it was either ffmpeg or mencoder) to combine the two files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CJay554 View Post
    When using gtk-recordmydesktop to obviously record my desktop i turn on "encode on the fly", and my recorded video moves too fast for the audio and loses sync, video ends about 2x faster than the audio itself.

If i leave the encode on the fly off, then my video is choppy (less choppy with compiz off) but still a distraction.
    I had similar problems of dropping or choppy sound. My tests didn't run long enough to observe if the audio got off from the video.

In searching around, I found this video where the guy put all the info together in a single video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsisVZ9Y9Q8

Here's the details of what I had to change:

• In recordMyDesktop, I set my audio and video quality to 50%. (Don't think that has anything to do with it, but it didn't hurt either).
    • recordMyDesktop > "Advanced" button
      • "Sound tab", Device: plughw:0,0 (was "DEFAULT")
      • "Performance" tab, checked "Full shots at every frame"

After doing that, my audio seems to work great now. I've observed a little audio hick-up right at the start if I was talking in the beginning. A slight pause at the start and it seems to work great.

Good luck!
    -Mark E.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by markeric View Post
    In searching around, I found this video where the guy put all the info together in a single video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsisVZ9Y9Q8
    That video was the key to helping me.. woot woot! however I needed to return to 15 fps. My settings are in attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Are you good enough to go to heaven?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks a bunch! this def seems to have improved the delay, though i can still notice a few glitches, for me i have to have 10 fps in order for the video to be in sync with audio, from time to time it looks like voice and video don't quite sync but they end up syncing shortly after. Very odd bugs, this def seems to be a audio driver problem, im using pulse, but in the device im using the plughw:0,0 entry
    When you first dont succeed, google- google again

Beans

Talking Re: GTK Record My Desktop Ruins Audio Sync

Thanks optimusmedia You rock! No more choppyness and sync is good!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CJay554 View Post
    I should mention this report is in Ubuntu 10.04, though this also happens in Ubuntu 9.10, but if i play around with the FPS in 9.10 i can get a balance between audio and video, but with 10.04 doesn't seem to work at all.

my graphics card info is as so:
    Code:
    *-display:0
                 description: VGA compatible controller
                 product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
                 vendor: Intel Corporation
                 physical id: 2
                 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
                 version: 03
                 width: 64 bits
                 clock: 33MHz
                 capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list rom
                 configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
                 resources: irq:30 memory:fc100000-fc1fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:1800(size=8)
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    Any idea? i've had bugs here and there with this graphics card though the basics of ubuntu works with it... its just the small things that pester me..
    Hi
    on the Advanced Menu change the following Setting
    Performance\Frame per Second = 10
    enable the following option:
    1-encode on fly
    2-zero compression
    3-quick subsampling
    4- full shot at every frame

Beans

I've tried to fix this for a long time. thank you!
    Last edited by natema; June 5th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.