Thread: GutenPrint interfering?

Beans

GutenPrint interfering?

My Ubuntu laptop is connected to a Windows network that has four shared printers.

From the laptop I can print test pages, etc., with two of the printers. I cannot with the other two.

On another machine, a Windows machine, also connected to the network, I can print to all four of the shared printers. So I know that the printers are fine.

Looking at the drivers used by Ubuntu for the four printers, I see:

Printer 1 uses an hpijs driver. This one works.
    Printer 2 uses an hpcups driver. This one also works.
    Printer 3 uses a CUPS+Gutenprint driver. This one does not work.
    Printer 4 uses a CUPS+Gutenprint driver. This one also does not work.

When I say "does not work," I mean that I get a dialog box that says, "there was a problem processing document `test page' (Job nn)."

Printing Troubleshooter for these printers says that the Server is not Exporting Shared Printers to the network. But as mentioned, they work fine using a Windows client.

The common feature seems to be the CUPS+Gutenprint drivers.

Note: For Printer 3, an Epson Stylus Photo R2400, I want to use the (recommended) Gutenprint driver, as I will use it with the GIMP. A couple Foomatic drivers are also offered, but not listed as recommended ones.

For Printer 4, a Canon PIXMA iP5000, I don't care what kind of driver I use, but the CUPS+Gutenprint one is the only one showing as an option.

Maybe I have a broken Gutenprint install or something?

My thanks in advance for any help that might be provided.

Beans

Re: GutenPrint interfering?

Followup to above:

For Printer 3, I changed the driver to a Foomatic+gutenprint one and the printer works. I don't know if I lose any color fidelity or quality using the Foomatic+gutenprint in the GIMP vs using the CUPS+Gutenprint driver.

For Printer 4, as mentioned, all Printer Properties is offering for a driver is a CUPS+Gutenprint one.