Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Lucid on Eee PC T101MT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu Lucid on Eee PC T101MT

@mrspacklecrisp You are using the proprietary driver for the touchscreen which has this bad lag, I also experienced this. With my solution, the built-in driver from Linux is used so there is no lag and GIMP works smoothly.

The "wrong architecture" bug indicates that you have maybe installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu? That could also explain the problems you had during installation. I used the 32 bit one and everything went smoothly.

I don't think that pressure sensitivity is possible with this kind of touchscreen.

@dtw
    The palm detection (which is what is shown in your video) doesn't work in Linux yet, for this we would first need a multitouch driver. I managed to set up a build environment for the ENAC drivers, but none of the existing ones don't work with our screen, but I'll write to Stéphane Chatty from ENAC after the holidays and ask him if he can help with the driver.
    Last edited by Plippo; April 4th, 2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: formatting

I've got trouble with right click. As far as I know it should be activated by clicking 3 seconds on same place

Beans
    Distro

Yes, right clicking doesn't work with the evdev driver that comes with ubuntu. To get it, you could use the proprietary driver like mrspacklecrisp describes, but it has a terrible lag - after some time, all your input is only recognized with a heavy delay.

thnx for info. I'm using cellwriter and the menu button at the moment
    Last edited by HHGAG; April 4th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The screen is a resistive one, which is specifically responsive to pressure. The asus product page describes this machine as having 256 levels of pressure: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=xK9O0XZhFswxrTrn

....Not totally sure, but I think this stuff in my /boot/config-2.6.31-20 means I have 32-bit. I could be entirely wrong, however.

An important-looking chunk:
    Code:
    #
    # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
    CONFIG_X86_32=y
    # CONFIG_X86_64 is not set
    CONFIG_X86=y
    CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf32-i386"
    CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG="arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig"
    CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME=y
    CONFIG_GENERIC_CMOS_UPDATE=y
    Appears as though you can use the evtouch driver in place of egalax's driver (Which may be a lot better, because I think egalax's drivers are like six years old). kgingeri got it working on the T91MT (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1237709.html) and mentions that it's "pressure sensitive", but I'm not sure he had the same meaning as I do. Some T91 fixes might be worth looking into, or even eee fixes in general.

I've found that the brightness keys change this setting randomly, and that the microphone is also failing. There's also an issue with getting the rotate button to work- If someone could find the correct value to put into here: /etc/acpi/events/asus-rotate and figure out how to dissociate that button with the screensaver, it would work perfectly. On the T91, it's 0000007b, but that didn't work for me. And the brightness keys and rotate button aren't recognized by xev, so I've got nothin'.

Beans
    Distro

I reinstalled Ubuntu. For whatever reason, your install worked this time, but I have the same complaints-there's a lag and there's no pressure sensitivity.

Perhaps this computer uses a wacom chip, like some other Asus tablet computers.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro

I know that it required special software according to the descriptions -- and the screen was supposedly not multi-touch w/ gestures, just the touchpad. I have seen too many conflicting articles to know what the real story is.. and the Asus US site does not have the model yet.
    Last edited by cprofitt; April 5th, 2010 at 04:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Earlier, when I used eGalax's drivers, I could put two fingers on the screen and a second cursor would appear. More fingers didn't do anything, but that's pretty promising. Mike at netbooklive.com used multitouch on the screen itself, too.

I'm pretty upset over this lack of pressure sensitivity, though. It sounds like an issue with the way the driver itself is written, and that's way out of my league. Anyone think that this could be solved through xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro

I now found the information about pressure sensitivity on the ASUS home page, that would be really great if we could get this to work in Linux.

The screen definitely has dual-touch functionality, so you can use it with up to two fingers. In the pre-installed Windows, things like zooming and rotating pictures with two fingers on the screen work. As I'm not using Windows normally, I did not test yet if pressure sensitivity works there, too, but as it can distinguish your palm from the stylus, I guess it does. So it should also possible to use it in Linux, as soon as there is a correct driver for this screen.

This is what we have at the moment: The touchscreen is recognized by the Linux kernel as a HID device, and if you give it some hints (which are added with my package), it can map the input events to the correct axes and make single touch work. For X, we have three possible drivers: Evdev, which works well but has no extended features like tap-and-hold for right clicks. Evtouch, which should also work after you have installed my package but I have not tested yet because it is quite old. And the eGalax driver which has tons of features and a nice settings application but is slow.

This is how I understand the things that are still missing: Due to the fact that the kernel driver only sends normal single touch events to the X drivers, we have at the moment no multitouch and no pressure sensitivity. For this, a special kernel driver is needed which transforms the HID data sent by the device into the correct Linux input events. When this driver works, it should be able to use pressure sensitivity without further work in applications like GIMP and Inkscape. Multitouch events would also be produced, but at the moment X is not yet ready to process them. But you could also add some emulation into the kernel driver which e.g. can emulate two-finger scrolling or palm detection by manipulating the events it emits to the upper layers.

I'll write to Stéphane Chatty from ENAC today, he has already created kernel drivers with multitouch support for other touchscreens and hopefully he can help to create a special driver for our screen. As soon as this driver works, I'll look into how special features like pressure sensitivity or palm detection can be built in. And then we should have really cool support for this screen under Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Good news! Stéphane, the creator of many other multitouch drivers for Linux, kindly offered to create a driver for the T101MT. He'll send me a debugging driver with which I have to do some tests (as he doesn't have the netbook himself) and then he thinks he'll be able to create a working driver.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we will immediately be able to use multitouch gestures in applications as multitouch support in Linux is quite new, but it should not be too difficult to write a helper application that recognizes multitouch gestures and sends keypress or mouse wheel events to the running application (like turning a zoom gesture into Ctrl + which zooms in documents or webpages or turning a two finger scroll gesture into a scroll wheel event to scroll your document -- I guess that's how Windows also does it). And of course, the cool Compiz effects you see in the video from the ENAC homepage would be possible.

And if we get pressure sensitivity working, I'm pretty sure palm detection should be easy to implement so you can use the stylus to write while resting your hand on the screen.

So be patient, good things are coming And thanks again to Stéphane for his support.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast