Thread: Can't boot into Recovery Mode in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Can't boot into Recovery Mode in Karmic

OK, I'm trying to fix a fresh Karmic install for a friend of mine. In short, she's screwed up user permissions so she can't sudo anymore. I need to get into Recovery mode so I can add her back to the admin group. Apparently, the way into recovery mode is by holding down the shift key when GRUB is booting up.

However, all this seems to be doing is booting up as normal, ignoring my Shift key.

What am I doing wrong?

/izo\
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans

Re: Can't boot into Recovery Mode in Karmic

Do you see grub while booting?If you do select recovery mode with arrow key and hit enter.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zvacet View Post
    Do you see grub while booting?If you do select recovery mode with arrow key and hit enter.
    No, it says GRUB is loading, then I get the Ubuntu logo. No menu is displayed to me.

/izo\
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Izobalax View Post
    OK, I'm trying to fix a fresh Karmic install for a friend of mine. In short, she's screwed up user permissions so she can't sudo anymore. I need to get into Recovery mode so I can add her back to the admin group. Apparently, the way into recovery mode is by holding down the shift key when GRUB is booting up.

However, all this seems to be doing is booting up as normal, ignoring my Shift key.

What am I doing wrong?

/izo\
    Nothing, the shift key should work.

Boot a Live CD or USB, mount the root partition & edit the [/mount/point]/etc/group file to add the user to the admin group:
    Code:
    admin:x:115:username

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    Nothing, the shift key should work.

Boot a Live CD or USB, mount the root partition & edit the [/mount/point]/etc/group file to add the user to the admin group:
    Code:
    admin:x:115:username
    I see, no the Shift key isn't working for me. Looks like I'll have to come back with a Live CD.

Thanks for the help!

/izo\
    See my website

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Izobalax View Post
    I see, no the Shift key isn't working for me.
    If it's an upgrade from Jaunty then it still uses grub legacy. Did you try to press ESC?
    Last edited by sisco311; March 29th, 2010 at 11:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    If it's an upgrade from Jaunty then it still uses grub legacy. Did you try to press ESC?

Nope, as said above it's a fresh Karmic install. I did try the ESC key, but that just checked the HDD and carried on booting as normal.

/izo\
    See my website