Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: SiPix pocket Printer setup

Have you guys tried the driver at:
    http://www.openprinting.org/printer/...ket_Printer_A6

Beans

The driver isn't really the issue, since I've been able to print output with it using other means. The problem seems to exist in the CUPS usage of USB serial ports.

I've used the procedure describe here with success on 9.10. It would be disappointing to find out this doesn't work in 10.04.

James

Beans

I do hate to bump threads but I would love to get this working. I also agree it isnt as much a driver issue as a permission one.

Beans

Re: SiPix pocket Printer setup [SOLVED]

I finally submitted a detailed bug report and got a very quick reply:

Dave Gilbert to me

This looks like a problem with the apparmour config for cups, I suggest if you add /dev/ttyUSB* to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd
    in the same way as the /dev/ttyS* rw, line it should fix it.

Dave

I tried this fix and it worked great!!

James
    Last edited by jimbolaya; June 1st, 2010 at 03:45 PM.

Beans

Im afraid I cannot mark this thread solved for that did not work on my side. But I did find that the sipix printer works out of the box with fedora 13 which I will dual boot until someone can post another possible solution.

Beans

Ok, I found a solution that works for me . Do not have the printer or serial adapter attached.

1. First open a terminal Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal
    2. type in (without quotes) "sudo gedit /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd"
    3. Scroll down to "/dev/ttyS* rw" and add right below it "/dev/ttyUSB* rw," and save this now close your editor and go back to the terminal
    4. Type in (without quotes) "lsusb"
    5. Plug in the printer with serial adapter and wait ten secconds
    6. once again type in "lsusb"
    7. find the new line that was added since you plugged in the device, for me it was
      Bus 004 Device 003: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
    8. Type into the terminal "sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x067b product=0x2303" (Remember to replace vendor=0x067b product=0x2303 with the one that corresponds to your lsusb output. Making it vendor=0x---- product=0x----)
    9. now go to system -> administration -> printing
    10. Click Add printer, under devices should be listed USB Serial Port #1 click that and choose "115200" as the baud Rate, "none" for parity, "8" for data bits, and "RTS/CTS (Hardware)" as flow control, Hit next.
    11. choose Sipix as Makes, hit next
    12. only one option should be availale for models and drivers "Pocket Printer A6, SiPix Pocket Printer A6 ....", hit next
    13. Hit Apply
    14. load a sheet of paper and click "print test page" to see if it works. (Notice the driver will pull the page 8 returns forward so be prepared for that)
    15. VERY IMPORTANT!!!! to make sure this will last every time you reboot go back to the terminal type in "sudo gedit /etc/modules" and add "modprobe usbserial vendor=0x067b product=0x2303" using the correct vendor and product numbers

That it! Your done! Good luck I hope this helps someone. =D>

P.S. If your printer finishes printing but does not release the paper or move it far enough simply hold the power button down, this makes it act like a feed button.
    Last edited by Brando753; March 5th, 2011 at 03:47 AM. Reason: adding P.S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12