Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Executable Bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Executable Bit

I find this kind of funny that everyone spends so much time trying to get around security measures put in place by the wine devs, when it takes less than1 minute to find a solution to the problem, on the winehq web site. All you have to do is prepend the command with wine eg:

Code:
    wine /path_to_executable/foo.exe
    or just merely:

Code:
    wine foo.exe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amnite View Post
    Ok i figured it out when you the file you want to open. Right click and click open with other application, and select use custom command. The current command should say cautious-launcher. replace that with wine and you should be good, thats how i got my diablo to run... Lemme know if that works for you... Hehe Im kinda proud of myself, Kinda just stumbled upon it..
    Worked perfectly, thanks a million!
    To reprise:
    right clicked
    clicked on 'open with other application'
    selected 'use custom command'
    entered in block 'wine [name of my cd drive]/setup.exe'
    Worked like a champ.
    Using fresh installation of 10.04.
    Thanks another million!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I find this kind of funny that everyone spends so much time trying to get around security measures put in place by the wine devs, when it takes less than1 minute to find a solution to the problem, on the winehq web site. All you have to do is prepend the command with wine eg:

Code:
    wine /path_to_executable/foo.exe
    or just merely:

Code:
    wine foo.exe
    The security measure was not put in place by the wine devs but by ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/ExecutableBit

As someone a year ago mentioned in this thread the problem isn't wine or java ( it also happens on a jar file ) but something called cautious-launcher. Wine didn't put that there and in the case of a jar file I seriously doubt that oracle put that there

You can either use "wine /path/to/file" or remove "cautious-launcer %f" from the launcher command in /user/share/applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If a malicious program or hacker has the ability to attempt to run a program on your computer, I'd think they would also have the ability to chmod a file?

It just seems like a silly security measure to me, and one which Windows and Mac don't have to deal with.

Is this annoyance doing any actual good in the real world whatsoever? Is this is actually mitigating any real threats to Linux security?

At the very least, pop up a box to ask if the user wants to make it executable so that there are fewer clicks required to do so?
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; June 29th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Think about how you can solve a problem, not about how it can't be solved.
    Support true GNU/Linux freedom - support REAL Linux standards by supporting efforts for cross-distro app installers/packages.

Beans

If you read the thread carefully, you will see that chmodding the file is not required. And on a CD, it's not even possible. All you need to do is to open the file with wine instead of cautious-launcher.

Maybe cautious-launcher should ask if you want to open the file instead of plain refusing, but then again maybe not. It's not a good idea to train users to click Yes too freely. If you really do repeatedly run executables from read-only media, perhaps you should change the open-with settings to use wine instead. Then you are well on the way to reducing things to Windows's level again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amnite View Post
    Ok i figured it out when you the file you want to open. Right click and click open with other application, and select use custom command. The current command should say cautious-launcher. replace that with wine and you should be good, thats how i got my diablo to run... Lemme know if that works for you... Hehe Im kinda proud of myself, Kinda just stumbled upon it..
    Thanks! That worked for me as well!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678