Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Executable Bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Executable Bit

OK so did anyone figure out how to install a Windows program in Wine on Lucid? I've got some software that I use with the Data Logger on my Race car that I want to run in Wine and I keep getting this same Executable Bit crap too?

BTW, I also have Wine running on 9.10 and have had NO problems getting Windows apps to load on it??

Any help here?

Ken

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I finally got that Windows based program to install in Wine. That program name is Logworks3setup.exe and each time I tried to install it I got the infamous Executable bit block. Then I changed the program name to Logwors3.exe and it ran fine? Dunno what the word "setup" does to Wine or ubuntu but one of the two DO NOT like it.

Program installed now so I can see if it will actually work.

Ken
    Last edited by cariboo; May 1st, 2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

SCRAP THAT LAST POST! LOGWORKS WILL NOT RUN AFTER IT INSTALLED?? The program tries to start, ie, blinks on then right back off again, like something is shutting it down as soon as it's acitvated. It happens so fast I can't even see what is in the box that appears on the monitor.

So, I'm still needing some help with this problem.

Ken

Beans

Try reading the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by adam814 View Post
    If you have wine installed you can make it work from the CD, you just need to run it using wine (i.e. in a terminal type "wine program.exe"). It may still gripe about it being read-only, but it should still run it. I'm sure I've done this with Windows programs from CD.
    Code:
    wine /path/to/file.exe
    You shouldn't be able to double-click execute anything unless it is marked as being executable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ken0069 View Post
    SCRAP THAT LAST POST! LOGWORKS WILL NOT RUN AFTER IT INSTALLED?? The program tries to start, ie, blinks on then right back off again, like something is shutting it down as soon as it's acitvated. It happens so fast I can't even see what is in the box that appears on the monitor.

Ken
    Doesn't sound relevant to this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    Doesn't sound relevant to this thread.
    IMHO it IS relevant to this thread because it's an Eecutable Bit problem that I don't have with v9.10 on my other computer running this exact same software!

The problem with the install of that Logworks program here on 10.04 just transferred to icon on the desktop after it finally did install. And I sure hope I'm not going to have to open a terminal window to start it each time?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ken0069 View Post

Ken
    It sounds like wine is executing to me, then fails to run your windows executable. How is this related to the executable bit? Sometimes newer versions of wine causes programs to break which worked in previous versions. If this were an executable bit problem, you would get an executable bit error.
    Last edited by cdenley; April 30th, 2010 at 10:22 PM.

Beans

Aw, c'mon, cdenley! The executable bit's recent promotion is behind our problems and you know it! Please, please stop casting around for someone else to blame.

What we have here is a <snip> of monumental proportions and it doesn't help anyone if the culprits try to use smoke and mirrors to conceal their culpability. Why not just own up and try to put things right? That's the only real way to win friends and influence people in circumstances like these.

Remember when Intel tried to claim that their arithmetic bug didn't matter, when the tobacco industry said that smoking cigarettes was good for you, when Toyota said that runaway acceleration was something to do with carpeting? Well this is no different.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 1st, 2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: removed profanity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bugritall View Post
    Aw, c'mon, cdenley! The executable bit's recent promotion is behind our problems and you know it! Please, please stop casting around for someone else to blame.

What we have here is a <snip> of monumental proportions and it doesn't help anyone if the culprits try to use smoke and mirrors to conceal their culpability. Why not just own up and try to put things right? That's the only real way to win friends and influence people in circumstances like these.

Remember when Intel tried to claim that their arithmetic bug didn't matter, when the tobacco industry said that smoking cigarettes was good for you, when Toyota said that runaway acceleration was something to do with carpeting? Well this is no different.
    If you can't see that his current problem has nothing to do with the executable bit which is required by the launcher nautilus uses to open windows executables, then you obviously have nothing to contribute to this thread except for your overreactions to a long overdue change in ubuntu's default behavior. I think the only bad decision made was gnome (not ubuntu) no longer allowing users to configure the default mount options used for filesystems mounted with nautilus. If users understand they could execute files by double-clicking and the security implications that has, they should be able to make files on CD's executable. That certainly shouldn't be the default, though.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 1st, 2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: fixed quote

Beans

cdenley, <snip> We seem to have another example of two nations separated by a common language but I'm ready to give it another go:

I identify your reference to a "long overdue change in ubuntu's default behavior" as a fundamental difference between us. It's clear that you welcome the change, whereas ken0069 and I do not.

Why should that be, I find me asking myself? Could it be anything to do with my (and ken0069's) sub-50 post-count, compared to your +3k posts, do you think? We are relative novices and we have a newly-created problem installing legitimate software in Ubuntu and we need help that seems not to be forthcoming.

For example, when you say
    If users understand they could execute files by double-clicking and the security implications that has, they should be able to make files on CD's executable.
    it makes my blood boil. How, dammit? I have tried this and the avenues it opens but nothing works for me. What is a simple file execution strategy for you remains a file execution mystery to me and I'm pretty sure that I'm speaking for ken0069, as well.

Deal with that. Deal with it very simply, please, because Ken and I are in deep do-dos and we need help, not know-it-all obfuscation.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 1st, 2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: remove disrespectful comment

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast