Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Linux in my school

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Linux in my school

1. This is less about money (Microsoft makes the software very inexpensive for K-12 / Colleges / Universities) and more about 'comfort' and 'job security'. An IT director of a K-12 is not likely to have extensive technical knowledge or familiarity with Open Source; when they use Microsoft they feel protected from having made a 'oops' decision because everyone else is using Microsoft.

2. Focus on the new NETP 2010 recommendations from the US Department of Education:

3. Also take a look at ISTE 21st Century Skills

Here are some presentations I have done that are CC-BY-SA

I think one of the things to strive for is to high light the value that Linux / Ubuntu / FOSS provides beyond a reduction in price.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by ibgeorgeb View Post
    I've (I'm a teacher) tried to influence the admins of our school to the low cost of implementing Linux (i.e. Ubuntu) but it fell short because of plugged ears.
    Presently I'm using a $65.00 recycled Asus Eee-900, running on eeebuntu, to access AR and Compass. I was told that AR & Compass were "window$" based programs by the gurus at tech. Not true.
    I'm finding more ways of using Ubuntu in place of Windows. I'm going to prove that in the midst of tight budgets there are far better low cost alternatives such as Linux.
    By the way, I have my K-12 Ed. Admin. license and I've found that too many admins are down right ignorant when to comes to computer related matters.
    Good luck, gB
    It wont work because of the fundamental reason why most IT training organisations "train" you with windows :

+ Becuase most people don't want to think.
    + Most organisations don't want IT staff that think for themselves.
    + Training staff are the kind that can't and don't want to think past the pre-written training script they use everyday.

In the end, when you prove that Ubuntu can replace Windows in every single facet of computer activities... they will get angry at you becuase :

+ You are trying to make them think.

But hey! ITS OK IT HAS ELECTROLYTES!
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by airtonix View Post
    It wont work because of the fundamental reason why most IT training organisations "train" you with windows :

+ Becuase most people don't want to think.
    + Most organisations don't want IT staff that think for themselves.
    + Training staff are the kind that can't and don't want to think past the pre-written training script they use everyday.

In the end, when you prove that Ubuntu can replace Windows in every single facet of computer activities... they will get angry at you becuase :

+ You are trying to make them think.

But hey! ITS OK IT HAS ELECTROLYTES!
    That is a bit of an over-generalization. Some teacher are on aut0-pilot with technology... more than the techs IMHO.

They have books to teach 'business' courses that are Microsoft Office focused.

-----

In general it is better to just say that the inertia behind Windows / OS X is very high. There is and opportunity, IMHO, based on the NETP 2010 recommendations to have this change -- as the end user will be able to choose their computing environment.

Beans

airtonix:
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgeorgeb View Post
    I've (I'm a teacher) tried to influence the admins of our school to the low cost of implementing Linux (i.e. Ubuntu) but it fell short because of plugged ears.
    I should have stated that I am proving to myself that there are other ways of using a computer in the classroom without M$ Windows. I have proven that Ubuntu works in the classroom and that there are cost savings.
    • While others are applauding the utilization of an expensive SmartBoard (plus the expenses of a laptop & lcd projector) in one our our classroom, I have replicated the same interaction with students using a $95.00 bluetooth tablet (purchased out of my pockets) and a LCD projector that cost the school nothing.
    • You're correct. No one listens or don't want to because they don't want to think and/or they won't get the credit.
    • Besides the required supplemental reading programs (I've Ubuntu-ized) we're using the OOo Spreadsheet and designed worksheets to monitor students in math on their proficiency and fluency in math operations (ala Baldrige). Our local economic base is depressed and we are downright country poor.

I'm finding new challenges to assist a couple of our classroom teachers using Ubuntu and they are happy to give their input in the design and tweaking of these projects. gB
    Last edited by ibgeorgeb; April 6th, 2010 at 03:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12