Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: multitouch synaptics on lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

multitouch synaptics on lucid

hi, i have synaptics touchpad that support multitouch (for example two finger scrolling). i followed this guide: http://my.opera.com/mazwarbz/blog/pi...ouchpad-ubuntu. shmconfig is enabled in .fdi but when i run synclient -m 100 i have this error:
    Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

Moreover, i can't restart hal service because /etc/init.d/hal doesn't exist... so, how can i enable shmconfig and use multitouch synpaptics?

Beans

Cool Re: multitouch synaptics on lucid

Hi,

Same for me : I have an asus eeepc, on lucid lynx... And I wanted to use my synaptics touchpad's multitouch capabilities... But unsuccessfully.. I get the same errors as my upper-neighbor.

Does somebody has the answer ? Or other tools to get multitouch working on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: multitouch synaptics on lucid

Other way to turn on SHMConfig I have tried in the past (really long back - around Edgy Eft), is this part in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
      Driver "synaptics"
      Option "SHMConfig" "on"
    EndSection
    Not sure if it will work, but it is worth a try.

If /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist, I believe you can just create one and add these lines to it. Someone please correct me if this is not the case.
    My Blog
    Ubuntu 13.04 desktop - Asus p5k-e Wi-fi/AP with Nvidia 8400GS, 64-bit
    Debian 'Testing' desktop - Asus p5k-e Wi-fi/AP with Nvidia 8400GS, 64-bit, Gnome Shell
    Debian 7.0 'Wheezy' laptop - Sony VAIO VGN-T140P, OpenBox, webserver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

HAL has been taken out of Lucid. I'm not really sure if this will help but try this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1435663

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What you need is a command line tool called xinput. It'll seem strange at first, but the idea is this tool lets you configure all your input devices at runtime.

Here are some commands to get you going:
    Code:
    xinput --help
    xinput list #note id of your touchpad; I'll refer to it as $ID
    xinput list-props $ID
    xinput set-int-prop $ID 121 8 0 #disables touchpad (sets property 121, or Device Enabled, to 0)
    xinput set-int-prop $ID 121 8 1 #enables touchpad
    Just come up with the commands you want to run and stick it in a script that runs when you log in.

Otherwise, have you checked System › Preferences › Mouse › Touchpad ? It lets you enable two fingered scrolling, at least. The multi-fingered tapping defaults to 2 fingers for right click, 3 for middle click. (Unless I've messed with it and forgotten).

Beans

Smile Re: multitouch synaptics on lucid

Thank you so much for your help guys, it worked for the 2 fingers scroll ! (Do you know how to get other multitouch features ?)

I'll put tomorrow the script I did use so it can be useful for others...

Btw, I tried to make this script run automatically on startup... So I put the script into /etc/init.d, and tried to run an "sudo update-rc.d my_script defaults", it does all it needs, but returns a "Missing LSB information" and the script doesn't start with the system anyway...

Does someone has an idea ?

Beans

You might better add the script to the startup actions when logging in (System-Preferences-Startup Applications) for settings you can't change through the GUI.

I couldn't find a setting for Palm Detection and added that in a script doing;

otter@sambal:~$ cat ~/bin/touchpad.sh
    xinput set-prop 10 "Synaptics Palm Detection" 1

(check post above to find the ID. mine is 10)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Niels den Otter has it right: when I said startup script, I just meant within your session. Make a script, make it executable, add #!/bin/sh at the top, and add a launcher within Startup Applications Preferences

I was reminded that the numerical IDs for your input devices could change, which makes that (identifying devices with numbers) a handy shortcut if you're briefly tinkering but not ideal for a script that you're going to use for a while. So, a more reliable command would be something like

xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

Where, instead of the ID number, I use the name of the device as in xinput list, held together by quotation marks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by biasquez View Post
    hi, i have synaptics touchpad that support multitouch (for example two finger scrolling). i followed this guide: http://my.opera.com/mazwarbz/blog/pi...ouchpad-ubuntu. shmconfig is enabled in .fdi but when i run synclient -m 100 i have this error:
    Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

Moreover, i can't restart hal service because /etc/init.d/hal doesn't exist... so, how can i enable shmconfig and use multitouch synpaptics?
    Hi,

The blog you are referred to is my blog. Anyway, the tutorial is not applicable to karmic due to HAL depreciation. I'm also facing the same problem. The synclient cannot detect more than 1 finger while in windows vista/7 it work flawlessly.

As far as I tested, only this tutorial http://blog.mfabrik.com/2009/10/11/s...005ha-netbook/ can make my touchpad work with 2 finger scrolling (excluding pinch zooming).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

To enable shmconfig.

run this command
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/shmconfig.fdi
    Then paste and save this file, then reboot.
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
          <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">on</merge>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast