Thread: Lightuning fingerprint scanner help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightuning fingerprint scanner help?

So I just built this new laptop in this kit I received for going to this computer science camp. Anyways, it came built in with a fingerprint scanner and after running
    Code:
    lsusb
    it returns
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1c7a:0801 LighTuning Technology Inc.
    and I have searched all over this forum and google and can not seem to find what to do with it. I have tried thinkfinger and a couple of other readers, but when i get to the point to scan my finger it declares "No devices connected". Any tips would be greatly appreciated as to what to do. Thanks!
    Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Lightuning fingerprint scanner help?

bump
    Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lightuning fingerprint scanner help?

Sadly EgisTech, which is the company behind the Lightuning fingerprint scanners, haven't released a Linux driver, even though they have a Linux Biometric Suite (http://www.egistec.com/en/products/bioexcess-linux.aspx).

I have the same problem (Acer Aspire 5940g), right now the only options are to help the folks from fprint to develop a driver for this device and/or contact EngisTech enquiring about a driver release, if everybody that uses Linux and have this fingerprint scanner put a little pressure, they might do it.

By the way, does your fingerprint reader stays hot while the notebook is in use?

Regards,
    Eduardo