Thread: Linksys WPC54G V2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linksys WPC54G V2

New Ubuntu user. Just installed Ubuntu via Wubi on my Laptop.

My wireless adapter is not automatically detected. I found some websites with help on getting the drivers loaded for the card. They suggested installing the ndiswrapper packages and then the drivers. When I try to install the packages through Synaptic Package Manager and select apply, a window pops up telling me to insert the disk labeled: "Ubuntu 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ -Release i386 (20091028.5)". It won't recognize my live cd which has a label of "Ubuntu 9.10 i386". Is the labeling of the disk really the issue? Can I redirect the SPM to look for the files elsewhere? I have looked for a work around but can't find one.

Your help is appreciated.

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linksys WPC54G V2

I realized after posting that I could go with a wired internet connection and download the files that way instead of using the live cd. I don't understand how I would of ever gotten it to work with the live cd since it was looking for a specific label on the CD, which mine label is different, which seems to be out of my control.

I got Ubuntu to reckonize my wireless router. Now the only problem is after entering my password which is does accept I got the continued circular motion that it is trying to connect but doesn't. Maybe I am impatient and it takes 5 minutes or so and I didn't give it enough time. I'll try again tonight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I can't get mine to work either. I have Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 32-bit. The wireless card is a Linksys Wireless G Notebook Adapter Model WPC54G version 1.2.

When I type This: lspci -n | grep '14e4:43'

I get this: 02:00.0 0280: 14e4:4320 (rev 03)

I tried to following the instruction at this link word for word and it did not work either. I just realized that this link was for Feisty Fawn, not Karmic Koala. I hope I'm not the only one that finds this forum board somewhat confusing.

Here's what happens for me, and this happened before and after I tried the ndiswrapper instructions that I linked above:

I insert the card and reboot. The wireless card is recognized. It does not auto connect like my desktop with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala does. I click on the wireless indicator in the top right corner and choose "Connect to a Hidden Network". I enter the SSID, same as I did on my desktop, and it thinks for 2-3 seconds. The connect window goes away and I immediately get a popup telling me that I am Disconnected.

I would expect to get this message after disconnecting from a wireless network. This card worked on my laptop when I still had Windows XP installed. I am a complete Ubuntu Noob. My desktop has 64-bit installed and this laptop has 32-bit installed. I'm just not sure what else I can try. I'll continue to search the forums. Please reply!!
    Last edited by Evillz; January 3rd, 2010 at 03:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I installed WICD. This changed the LAN/WLAN indicator in my system tray, but the wireless card didn't work. I figured I didn't WICD anymore so I uninstalled it. Now I can't get online with a LAN cable either. I'm really enjoying myself now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was able to re-install WICD from the Ubuntu Software Center. After reboot, I was able to connect with LAN again. Wireless still does not work with my WLAN card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I fixed it! WCP54G v1.2 works in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala now!

First of all, thanks to this post. It has a great wealth of information. Here is what I did to finally fix my problem.

I opened WICD Network Manager and clicked on Preferences. On the General Settings tab, I noticed that the Wireless Interface field was blank. The Wired Interface field had eth0 in it. I thought it was weird that the Wireless Interface field was blank, but I didn't know what to put here and moved on to research some more. I found the post that I just mentioned above and started walking through the suggestions outlined. I finally ran the command lshw -C Network in the terminal. A whole bunch of information came up.

Code:
      *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
           vendor: National Semiconductor Corporation
           physical id: 12
           bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 00
           serial: 00:0b:cd:a5:18:0b
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=natsemi driverversion=2.1 latency=90 maxlatency=52 mingnt=11 multicast=yes
           resources: irq:11 ioport:8c00(size=256) memory:d0003000-d0003fff memory:24000000-2400ffff(prefetchable)
      *-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 03
           serial: 00:0f:66:4f:99:82
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmwl5 driverversion=1.55+ASUS,03/22/2004, 3.60.7.0 ip=192.168.1.104 latency=64 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
           resources: irq:11 memory:20000000-20001fff
    I looked at the description for Ethernet Interface and noticed the Logical Name of eth0. Hey, that looks familiar! I scrolled down to the Wireless Interface and noticed that the Logical Name for this one was wlan0. I opened WICD Network Manager, clicked Preferences, typed wlan0 in for the Wireless Interface and clicked OK. I clicked on Network and Find a Hidden Network, typed in my network's SSID and viola... connected!

I hope this helps save a few of you hours of frustration!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Okay, so, this might end up being the dumbest question on this forum, but I'm brand new to Ubuntu (straight off of being a Windows die-hard since '95), and here's where I'm stuck: When I do the ol' lshw -C network, my wireless interface is listed as "disabled." I've gathered that this may mean my card is turned off, but I don't know how to turn it on if that's the case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm running into a similar problem - I can bring up my network info, but I'm seeing *-network DISABLED - thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

I've successfully got it going on my old Dell laptop, according to this post (which is in German):
    http://on-air.stenki.eu/computer-lin...4-installieren

Briefly:
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
    at prompt to extract firmware, select Yes
    System / Preferences / Network Connections / Wireless
    - set up security info, including ssid & passkey.
    Insert card

It worked first time