Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help testing Wubi 10.04

Beans

Please help testing Wubi 10.04

Dear all,

If you still have windows on some of your machines and a bit of free drive space, your help testing Wubi for the 10.04 Lucid release would be most welcome.

Please use the latest Wubi version available on http://people.canonical.com/~evand/wubi/lucid/ and run wubi.exe. There is no need to burn or use a CD, Wubi will automatically download and use the latest daily ISO.

If you have any issue, follow this procedure:

• Uninstall and try with a clean installation using the latest revision from the above link
    • If that does not help, when you reboot into Ubuntu the first time, you can press ESC for more installation boot options, sometimes those fix the issue.
    • Check https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi if there is already an open bug, in case feel free to add a comment in there
    • If none of the above helps, feel free to ask on this thread (I am subscribed).
    • If you think you stumbled upon a new bug, an even better place for reporting your issue is https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi.
    • More points if you attach the wubi.log file which is located in your user temp directory.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ago
    Last edited by ago; March 27th, 2010 at 09:51 AM.

Beans

Re: Please help testing Wubi 10.04

is there anyway to install using a without using a CD..i have the 10.04 image but im using an HP touchsmart tm2 and i dont have a disk drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you got an usb stick and a windows system somewhere, this one works ace:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

Alternative if no windows system is around:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Regard,

Tom

Beans
    Distro

More than glad to test this out. I have been using 9.10 from a wubi install and had a lot of fun playing with it. Althogh I can not prove this implictly, I know for a fact that my notebook has been fried twice by how hot 9.10 makes my notebook run. Twice I have had to have HP fix it. I can feel the heat difference on my legs. 9.10 runs that hot! Anyway, since it is under warantee I do not mind much. Eventully though I am hoping Debian gets there act together on this heat issue. What does this have to do with 10.04 and wubi? Not much! I just needed to vent. I lok forward to the installation (maybe HP will give me something better if my notebook gets smoked again =)

Beans
    Distro

Did a clean installation as suggested. The installation went very smoothy for the most part. There is no sound (not a wubi problem). Once I have booted into the 10.04 'installation' it looks like I have booted using a live CD.

Anyway. Here is the part about possibly being a wubi issue, but maybe not. Here goes.

I went to the update manager and did udate, then upgrade. Files downloaded which required a reboot. Once rebooted an installation dialog box appears. Once the box gets to 285% there is a problem.

Another dialog box appears which states "Loop mounted file system already present"
    The selected partition (partition 2 of /var/lib/partman/devices/=dev=sda) already contains the following file system images: /unbuntu/disks/root.dsk please uninstall these before trying again. I then selected OK.

Another dialog box appears. "No root file system" no root file system is defined. Please correct this list from the partition menu. Select OK, but nothing further happens. I then did a hard shut down using the power switch, and tried again (not sure why, I just did). Same results.

I am going to use windows and remove root.disk file and see what happens. I will be back to report.

Beans
    Distro

Not exactly sure if what I did was correct, here goes... booted into windows went to the ubuntu/disks/root.disk file and changed it to root.disk.save rebooted then tried again to boot Ubuntu. This time I received a message asking me to chkdsk /r then try again. That did not do anything.

Could anyone point me in the direction I need to be going (if any, maybe I should just be waiting) to continue testing in 10.04?

Beans

I tried to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 but if failed.

1. I did an ALT+F2, then entered "update-manager -d"
    2. I got the update manager dialog
    3. I read the info then clicked the "Upgrade" button
    4. I got a message saying the 2 file were being downloaded
    5. The files downloaded the update-manger closed and the process stopped

I rebooted and tried again... got the same results. Am I missing something?

Beans

How to install without the Disk Drive??????..... I also find the answer for this wth good suggestion.........,,,,,,,,,,,

Beans

DarthStygeon, Sonia 10, wubi does not require a CD, if you run wubi.exe it will download and use the latest ISO file. In fact, even if you use a CD which is not the same as the latest available ISO it will be ignored.

To test simply download and run wubi.exe from the above link, no CD burning is required.

Beans

bluefox, if, once you boot into Ubuntu you see a desktop with an icon to install ubuntu, then the installation did not work out and we would need the logs /var/log/syslog and the ones in /var/log/install. If you end up in a desktop without the installation icon then things should be ok.

Please do a new installation wiping out the previous one, once you reboot the first time, press esc and select verbose mode.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast