Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atheros 9k wifi card problem, please help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Atheros 9k wifi card problem, please help!

Quote Originally Posted by shebaw View Post
    I guess there is no solution for my problem and the problem isn't only with me either.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...78#post9026178

Thats the exact problem I'm having and I guess reinstalling ubuntu is the only fix
    Before you do that, have a look here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English

Click on "installer instructions" and you get a pdf file with this:

Uninstalling the ATI Linux Proprietary Driver
    Uninstalling the ATI Linux Proprietary Driver is dependent on the mode of the initial
    installation.
    Automatic or Custom Driver Installations
    If the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver was installed using either the Automatic or Custom
    options, then do the following:
    1 Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the /usr/share/ati folder.
    With superuser permissions, enter the command "sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh".
    Reboot your system.
    You have now successfully uninstalled the ATI Linux Proprietary Driver.
    That'll be "sudo sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh" in Ubuntu. Is this what you did? Because I find it very hard to believe that the backports modules broke the graphics. Yes, I did read your linked thread and, yes, stranger things happen, but I would like to find a more logical explanation for broken graphics than an updated wireless driver.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Because I find it very hard to believe that the backports modules broke the graphics. Yes, I did read your linked thread and, yes, stranger things happen, but I would like to find a more logical explanation for broken graphics than an updated wireless driver.

I restarted my pc as soon as I installed the backport modules, I didn't install anything except that and that was when my graphics card broke.

That'll be "sudo sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh" in Ubuntu.Is this what you did?
    Ya I have tried that and that was how I got my cursor back. And I now have used envy to uninstall my graphics card driver, and I'm having lower resolution but the annoying "drawing" effect has gone. I'm going to use envy to install my graphics card and will update you the result.

Thank you again for your reply!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have installed my graphics card driver using envy and everything is working fine, I even have all those pretty 3D effects, WOOOHOOOO!!!!
    Last edited by shebaw; March 25th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Good news.

Actually, I've rethought this proprietary driver versus wireless driver thing and, yes, this does seem to be a problem.

Consider - if I'm understanding you right - you were getting freezing with the catalyst driver + original ath9k driver whereas I was getting merely a flaky wireless connection with the original ath9k driver - but I was using the open source ATI driver. Perhaps there is an interaction between the proprietary driver and the older ath9k driver sufficient to cause your freezing. And then when you updated the ath9k driver, graphics broke. I didn't try to install the fglrx driver (through Hardware Drivers) until after I had installed the backports and the effect was appalling - windows tearing, lagging, etc. So perhaps I did experience this issue.

Anyway, glad to hear envy worked for you. I couldn't get envy to work on my machine for some reason, so I envy you that. (Groan! ) Perhaps the version of the driver that envy installs is different from the one you downloaded from the ATI site.

Anyway, I'm hoping this will all be theoretical in Lucid. The version of the ath9k driver that comes with Lucid is the same as the one that the backports package installs in Karmic and, as I mentioned, the open source ATI driver seems to be much improved in Lucid.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Consider - if I'm understanding you right - you were getting freezing with the catalyst driver + original ath9k driver whereas I was getting merely a flaky wireless connection with the original ath9k driver - but I was using the open source ATI driver. Perhaps there is an interaction between the proprietary driver and the older ath9k driver sufficient to cause your freezing. And then when you updated the ath9k driver, graphics broke. I didn't try to install the fglrx driver (through Hardware Drivers) until after I had installed the backports and the effect was appalling - windows tearing, lagging, etc. So perhaps I did experience this issue.
    Yes I guess you experienced the same issue, the proprietary driver works fine till you install those backports.

Perhaps the version of the driver that envy installs is different from the one you downloaded from the ATI site.
    Perhaps, but I downloaded the latest version from ATi's website, I still don't know how envy's driver is working great.

The version of the ath9k driver that comes with Lucid is the same as the one that the backports package installs in Karmic and, as I mentioned, the open source ATI driver seems to be much improved in Lucid.
    I will be very happy if everything works fine out of the box on Lucid, Ubuntu 9.1 detected most of my drivers(except my fingerprint reader and graphics card ofcourse), that was why I gave this version a try.
    Last edited by shebaw; March 26th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12