Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No xorg.conf found in /etc/X11 (Ubuntu 10.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: No xorg.conf found in /etc/X11 (Ubuntu 10.04)

Interestingly, I've discovered that when I put the same laptop I was talking about before into Suspend or Hibernation mode while having a paused video open in Totem, once I wake it up again the same problem that happens with the external LCD happens with the laptop's LCD.

It seems to gradually go out of sync. Sometimes takes it a few minutes to even become noticeable, but then it goes on to become completely unusable.

I'm starting to think this is a display driver issue, rather than some misconfiguration in the X server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

I really miss the old days when things in linux were not automatic. Somehow hard to get the right configuration but once done, no problems at all.
    Automation is good when it works....

Beans

Question Re: No xorg.conf found in /etc/X11 (Ubuntu 10.04)

Hi,

I'm looking to create a xorg.conf file, and have followed your suggestion (You can create an xorg.conf file by entering recovery mode (hold down shift at startup, or choose it from GRUB when it appears) and type:
    Code:
    sudo Xorg -configure
    at the prompt.).

On testing with X -config /root/xorg.conf.new at the root prompt, the screen goes blank. Is this what should happen?

Regards,

Roger

(specs:
    computer: Dell Inspiron 4150,
    video controller: ATI mobility RADEON 7500C)

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowagent7 View Post
    Hi all. Just read this thread and figured I'd throw in what little knowledge I've gained so far. You can create an xorg.conf file by entering recovery mode (hold down shift at startup, or choose it from GRUB when it appears) and type:
    Code:
    sudo Xorg -configure
    at the prompt.

To test it I've read you can use:
    Code:
    X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
    but I cant be sure if it works because I haven't tried it. However it is supposed to work if you get a grey grid screen with the cursor. All I know is I now have an xorg.conf and Lucid does use it because it is in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file,it just doesn't use it by default.This code says it is in the /root folder, but I found mine in my /home folder, you might check before you run it to be sure. I think you still have to be in recovery mode to do this code as well.

To move the file to its proper location where it is looked for by X type:
    Code:
    cd /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    just replace /root with whatever directory it happens to be in when it's created.

Also, if you need to back up your xorg.conf:
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    it will move you current configuration to a backup file in the same directory and allow you to piddlefartass with the new one.

Hope this helps someone!

Oh yeah, to edit the xorg.conf when it is owned by root:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit etc/X11/xorg.conf
    but you probably want to back it up before you mess with it.

Peace,out.

Beans

Please ignore my previous post. I've just re-read rainbowagent7's of June the 8th ("However it is supposed to work if you get a grey grid screen with the cursor.").

Doh!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Norton View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to create a xorg.conf file, and have followed your suggestion (You can create an xorg.conf file by entering recovery mode (hold down shift at startup, or choose it from GRUB when it appears) and type:
    Code:
    sudo Xorg -configure
    at the prompt.).

On testing with X -config /root/xorg.conf.new at the root prompt, the screen goes blank. Is this what should happen?

Regards,

Roger

(specs:
    computer: Dell Inspiron 4150,
    video controller: ATI mobility RADEON 7500C)

Beans

This works you should place this as solved

Quote Originally Posted by AtliThor View Post
    Thanks diesch. That link was a big help.

I've managed to use the xrandr command to modify the refresh rate, but I still can't seem to manage to sync the horizontal and vertical rates so the screen stops flickering.

Closest I've gotten so far is to use:
    Code:
    $ gtf 1280 1024 60
    to generate a Modeline, and then apply that to the screen by doing:
    Code:
    $ xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
    $ xrandr --addmode VGA-0 "1280x1024_60.00"
    $ xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode "1280x1024_60.00"
    The screen still flickers, but not as badly as it used to. It's more like a slow "wobble" right now
    Still unusable, of course, but I'm getting closer (I think).

Thanks again.

Beans

Hi all,

I also need to create an xorg.conf file but only to set a couple of parameters and do not wish to mess with the rest. Can an xorg.conf file have only partial information, say for the touchpad only or would this block my computer?

I'm actually using Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi there...
    I think I managed to solve this same issue.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 with ATI X1200 (RM690) Video Card, and had a lot of issues with this card.
    After trying to solve with the XrandR and gtf, and having some enhancements but not a true solution, I managed to solve all issues by changing (upgrading) to the kernel version 2.6.34-020634-generic.
    I hope it works for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by AtliThor View Post
    Interestingly, I've discovered that when I put the same laptop I was talking about before into Suspend or Hibernation mode while having a paused video open in Totem, once I wake it up again the same problem that happens with the external LCD happens with the laptop's LCD.

It seems to gradually go out of sync. Sometimes takes it a few minutes to even become noticeable, but then it goes on to become completely unusable.

I'm starting to think this is a display driver issue, rather than some misconfiguration in the X server.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12