Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New computer build

Beans

Re: New computer build

Personal preference? DFI if you've got the cash for them (great motherboards, but hardly cheap).
    Gigabyte for normal use. Probably asrock/biostar for the cheaper brands, but I try to avoid them, they can be more trouble than they are worth IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chisle View Post
    i was more or less going with the 890gx so i could future proof my build. my laptop has been used for the past five years. and i am hoping this computer build lasts atleast that long. thats the reason for going with the 890 chipset. however i have started seeing some 7xx boards with usb 3.0 and sata III
    Sorry, not trying to be nasty when I say this-

'Future proofing' is impossible. What you mean is you want a longer upgrade path.

I'm 90% sure that the 7xx AM3 motherboards will be able to use the 6core Phenom CPUs when they could out.

USB 3.0 is nice, but its around on the 7xx boards as well. SATA3/6GBit/sec is nice as well. All the 7xx chipset boards that suport either of these are with external chips, not built into the chipset. If there were 870, 890X or 890FX chipset boards around, I would be all for them, but as yet I havent seen one. I've never been fond on the onbaord video chisets (785, 790GX) so I admit my bias.

Beans

Re: New computer build

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Personal preference? DFI if you've got the cash for them (great motherboards, but hardly cheap).
    Gigabyte for normal use. Probably asrock/biostar for the cheaper brands, but I try to avoid them, they can be more trouble than they are worth IMO.

Sorry, not trying to be nasty when I say this-

'Future proofing' is impossible. What you mean is you want a longer upgrade path.

I'm 90% sure that the 7xx AM3 motherboards will be able to use the 6core Phenom CPUs when they could out.

USB 3.0 is nice, but its around on the 7xx boards as well. SATA3/6GBit/sec is nice as well. All the 7xx chipset boards that suport either of these are with external chips, not built into the chipset. If there were 870, 890X or 890FX chipset boards around, I would be all for them, but as yet I havent seen one. I've never been fond on the onbaord video chisets (785, 790GX) so I admit my bias.
    Thing is though on the 890GX chipset the IGP uses the same ATi HD4200 (aka 3300). The only difference is the core clock has been upgraded to 700Mhz

So it's most likely plausable to assume that it's supported

I myself am looking into one. I just want to be sure the audio is supported as well as the chipset.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12