Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there a REAL replacement for MS Project?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is there a REAL replacement for MS Project?

I think OpenProj is pretty good for small projects as someone pointed out.
    Has anyone tried taskjugglar ?? It is available in Ubuntu repository too and it has the latest stable version.

Here is the site for the app and user manual :

http://www.taskjuggler.org/

Here is wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TaskJuggler

It has a learning curve but thankfully, they gave a manual on their site (ignore first 25 pages or so).
    Most important "milestone" is getting started with taskjugglar. However, once you get started, it does act as a true management aid for you. As opposed to other products, which are cakewalk to begin with, slowly become cumbersome as the projects moves forward in real life.

Taskjuglar is not a product to "document" your plan, but helps you make the plan after you give its basic input like tasks, estimated man-days etc. It fulfils moderm requirements like global time zone support and is also better suited for agile style management. Despite that, its still very conventional and rock solid. Its scalable. Earlier it was KDE only but now good for all unix/Linux thanks to Ruby

I am amazed that I took long time to discover it (google crawlers??) and am not surprised that none mentioned about it here too.

However, as I said there is a learning curve at the beginning but its not much difficult. It really is a management aid rather than a documentation tool for your plan.

No worries, it does churn out Gantts/PERTS's and few others too. Its not perfect though, but if it suits your need, then its a candidate for MS project replacement. for free as in $$ and liberty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Agile is no silver bullet or gold-plated wrench but it does give you flexibility and visibility. Contrary to what people who've never used it think, it does NOT mean no planning -- there's actually more going on than with some of the other project management methods. You basically HAVE to have proper tools. On the bright side, since it's all the hype, competition in Agile project management tools is much more multiple-sided than it is in MS Project vs. nobody. I'd go with either the Atlassian suite (Jira+Greenhopper, optionally FishEye, Crucible and/or Bamboo) or Rally, and I've also heard good things about VersionOne but haven't used it personally. It really depends on headcount, MS Project might actually work best for you.

On my previous job, I've had endless embarrassment trying to do even simple PM tasks in either openProj or OWB. I ended up writing my own little Agile tools in OO.o Calc, crude but good enough to give me a backlog, iteration planning and burndown. At least that way I re-gained some of the respect of the engineers that way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Xianath View Post
    Agile is no silver bullet or gold-plated wrench but it does give you flexibility and visibility. Contrary to what people who've never used it think, it does NOT mean no planning -- there's actually more going on than with some of the other project management methods. You basically HAVE to have proper tools. On the bright side, since it's all the hype, competition in Agile project management tools is much more multiple-sided than it is in MS Project vs. nobody. I'd go with either the Atlassian suite (Jira+Greenhopper, optionally FishEye, Crucible and/or Bamboo) or Rally, and I've also heard good things about VersionOne but haven't used it personally. It really depends on headcount, MS Project might actually work best for you.

On my previous job, I've had endless embarrassment trying to do even simple PM tasks in either openProj or OWB. I ended up writing my own little Agile tools in OO.o Calc, crude but good enough to give me a backlog, iteration planning and burndown. At least that way I re-gained some of the respect of the engineers that way
    I agree Agile is no silver bullet. However, I never made it out to be one. I made a reference to it as it could be an important factor for many. The tool I spoke about is suited for Agile though as I mentioned it is still very conventional tool. Its the flexibility aspect that I tried to highlight

I think PM tools is an area where Linux attention hasn't gone enough in recent times. We have options available though nothing like say OpenOffice, FireFox, GIMP, Inkscape, mutimedia, emails etc. Just like GIMP is an excellent alternative to Photoshop for professionals, we need an equivalent of M$ Project as OpenProj has a long way to go as far as scalability is concerned. But it has the potential for sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MS project is a symptom of a problem, not a tool to manage products.
    1 ... Sony VPCJ1, 6Gb RAM, 500Gb SATA - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    3 ... Lenovo T61, Core 2 2.0, 4Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjsmith View Post
    Doth speak the FUD-monger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjsmith View Post
    Agree, MS Project, the way its commonly used, is a way to document a plan at its best. If you want to track project performance using it, you have to forget that "ghost % completion" of task. You have to use "other" performance measurement criteria. For example, Earned Value analysis.
    Same goes true of open source counterparts GanttProject, OpenProj etc. These can become management aid IF we forget that "ghost completion" of tasks.

Else, they just remain programs to document your schedule/effort/budget plan, not anything more.
    Last edited by pbenerjee; June 30th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

So I found out yesterday that the Lazarus (Free Pascal) project was alive. Was so nice to see a "friendly face" As a former Delphi lead developer, I am now working on refreshing my coding skills. So anyway, I have decided to start a project to create a project planner. Don't get too excited. It's totally an idea so far. I would imagine 6-9 months before anything comes of it.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
    Re critical patch calculations, I have such a calculator on my website:

http://sporkforge.com/sched/critical_path.php

You have to compose a text file to specify the tasks, but it's been in use for a couple of years without any complaints re accuracy.
    I've recently made an expanded tool called the "Project Scheduler". Besides sporting a unique & inspired name, it will schedule tasks while taking into account resource usage.

There's a link to it from the critical path calculator.

But, as usual for my stuff, it's basic text in / text out - no fancy charts or anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

just a comment... most companies that do work for an engineering firm have to use Primavera or MS Project by contract.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123