Thread: Weird noises coming from Hard-drive, and a problem.

Beans

Weird noises coming from Hard-drive, and a problem.

First off, I only encounter this problem in Ubuntu. I had installed Arch, and everything worked like a miracle.
    (Not going to explain why I switched back to Ubuntu)
    After logging in, and the desktop loads, I start hearing weird noises from my hard-drive every few minutes. When the noise is constant, that's when my second problem appears.
    The second problem is, /home switches from rw (read-write) to ro (read-only), and I can't save any of my files on it. Needless to mention, this only happens to my on Ubuntu.
    Few specifications of my laptop:
    - HP Pavilion Entertainment PC
    - Ubuntu 9.10
    Fstab:
    Code:
    # /home was on /dev/sda7 during installation
    UUID=bdac632d-2267-478b-8755-bfbdb8b4f904 /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
    The only thing I can do to make it stop (for a short while only), is by rebooting into Ubuntu. If anyone knows a solution to it, please do share, for I am running out of options.
    I can't simply restart every few minutes, and I have lots to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Weird noises coming from Hard-drive, and a problem.

What, if anything, does palimpsest say about the drive? Go to System ->Administration ->Disk Utility, and you can run a disk check.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Weird thing. Do you get any message from S.M.A.R.T.? S.M.A.R.T. is a program that alerts you when your hard drive have a critical problem. This message usually appear in console. This programs run automatically, you don't have to run it.

Beans

Hard rive noise is not good. Often means pending disk failure. Advise you backup any data files.