Thread: Can't load toshiba_acpi module

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Can't load toshiba_acpi module

Hello community,

I have a Toshiba L505D-S5965, and I am trying to get the multimedia and fn (function) keys to work. The multimedia keys work with Linux Mint (a Ubuntu derivative), and as I remember, the fn keys work with Puppy Linux, but I can't get them to work in Ubuntu. I think this is because I cannot load the toshiba_acpi module, but I am not sure. I just updated the bios to try and fix it, but it did not change anything. I am running Ubuntu 9.10 i686, Windows Vista, and Linux Mint 7 X86-64. I have been having this problem since I installed.

Any help would be appreciated, I think there are many other people having the same problem.

Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can't load toshiba_acpi module

The reason I am trying to load the acpi is because I want to be able to see my battery status, turn on and off the wifi, and use the fn keys. When I run toshset, I get
    <code>
    me@ubuntu:~$ sudo toshset
    required kernel toshiba support not enabled.
    </code>

Can anyone help me on this?
    Thanks, I have been trying to solve this for several weeks.

Beans

Try reviewing this message thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=l505d

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I am 'trying' to compile the kernel, I have never successfully compiled anything, despite being an avid Linux user (primarily puppy until getting this refurbished laptop). Hopefully this will fix the problems, and not make any new ones!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by toomuchcomputertime View Post
    Thanks, I am 'trying' to compile the kernel, I have never successfully compiled anything, despite being an avid Linux user (primarily puppy until getting this refurbished laptop). Hopefully this will fix the problems, and not make any new ones!
    This was my first kernel compile. Ivan's instructions in the other message thread are very good.

Colin

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Colin, I am using Ivan's instructions, I just decided to upgrade to 10.04 before I compiled, so I am compiling now. I will post an update whether it is sucesful or not.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

I recompiled the kernel, and it is working well, but I still don't have Toshiba acpi support. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Just an update to clarify, I am trying to make my fn keys turn on and off the wireless chip (instead of rebooting and changing the BIOS), and also get the battery monitor working. I cannot change any power options for the battery, all I have are AC power options. Further, it would be nice to be able to change the screen brightness with the fn keys (sometimes the gnome brightness applet works, sometimes it doesn't).

Thanks.