Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rtorrent over VPN

Beans

Re: rtorrent over VPN

What VPN are you using?

In OpenVPN, you can run a script on establishment of a tunnel and another when the tunnel closes. in the UP script, start rtorrent and in the DOWN script you could then terminate the rtorrent process.

I don't know enough about IPSEC and other VPNs to know if this is possible using them.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    What VPN are you using?

In OpenVPN, you can run a script on establishment of a tunnel and another when the tunnel closes. in the UP script, start rtorrent and in the DOWN script you could then terminate the rtorrent process.

I don't know enough about IPSEC and other VPNs to know if this is possible using them.
    I have not specified the software yet, waiting for the new hardware Doing some testing on my old machine.

I did not think of using the VPN client to solve my problem but that seems reasonable. I was thinking that rtorrent might have some configuration parameter that limits the traffic to flow through only for example eth1, if eth1 is the established tunnel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yea you are looking for a script of some sort to tell rtorrent when to run. If openvpn has a built-in method of doing this than that would be the best route...or to hand write it.
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

Beans

More than one way to skin a cat!

That's what I meant about looking at the problem from a completely different angle, once you know exactly what is required.

Have a look at OpenVPN, it is great if you are setting up your own VPN and can control all client access. If you want to use it to connect to other third party VPN end-points, it may not work for you though.

Hope it works out for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    More than one way to skin a cat!

That's what I meant about looking at the problem from a completely different angle, once you know exactly what is required.

Have a look at OpenVPN, it is great if you are setting up your own VPN and can control all client access. If you want to use it to connect to other third party VPN end-points, it may not work for you though.

Hope it works out for you.
    I'll do that and post a solution if I manage to get it up and running.

Thanks for the help! and sorry for me being an *** from time to time

Beans

No Probs!

Have fun tinkering!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I posted something almost identical to this the other day but received no responses so I'll reword the question on this thread...

Does anyone know how to run a script on the termination of a connection over network-manager-pptp?

Cheers,
    JC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mtecknology View Post
    2a) If what you want is to tunnel the traffic over VPN, then just do that. Setup a port for your torrent client, forward the port over the VPN. Easy as pie. There's plenty on google about doing that.
    I'm trying to do exactly that but I can't seem to find anything relevant on google. How is the "forward the port over the vpn"- part done ?

I'm trying to get only my torrent client to use the VPN and not any of the other programs connected to the internet. At the moment I only seem able to route all my internet traffic through the VPN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12