Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: with C Program please!

Beans

Red face Help: with C Program please!

Im still new to C programming. I just checked out google for examples of mkstemp but i still dun understand how to use it.

will someone tell me

1) if i use mkstemp to make a temporary file from the original copy how do i read from it?
    2) to read do i need to store the value in a memory buffer?
    3) if so how can i make my program works even if malloc allocate a size smaller than the file?

thanks lot advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help: with C Program please!

first of all:
    you should use tmpfile() or tmpname() defined in the C standard and thus more portable
    http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/c...stdio/tmpfile/
    http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/c...cstdio/tmpnam/
    tmpfile deletes the temporary file when its closed again.
    if you want to keep it use tmpname and open it yourself.

1. mkstemp does not make a copy from anything. it modifies the char buffer you provide and creates a file with the name saved in the modified buffer.
    it returns a file descriptor, so you should make a stream from it with fdopen
    with that stream reading/writing is identical normal C file handling (fopen, fgets fwrite fclose etc.)

2. yes to read something from a file you need a location to save the read data.
    note when you create a temporary file it is empty at first, so there is nothing to read

3. read from the file in chunks the size of your buffer until the file is read. if the filesize is unknown (e.g. your reading from a stream) either resize your buffer dynamically (realloc, only recommended for small files as this is slow and wastes memory) or make a new buffer when the current one is full.
    How you handle buffering in detail is strongly dependent on what you actually want to read and how that data is handled.

if you don't need portability and just want to quickly read a small file, you can use the gnu extension getline
    it reads data up to a delimiter and handles buffer sizing for you (by using realloc).
    see:
    man 3 getline
    Last edited by MadCow108; March 18th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    3. read from the file in chunks the size of your buffer until the file is read. if the filesize is unknown (e.g. your reading from a stream) either resize your buffer dynamically (realloc, only recommended for small files as this is slow and wastes memory) or make a new buffer when the current one is full.
    How would creating a new buffer each time the old buffer is full speed up stuff? You'd still need to copy the contents of the old buffer into the new buffer, so you're basically doing what realloc does by hand and most probably slower since if realloc can resize the buffer without moving it, there's virtually no overhead.

Don't optimize things until you've shown they need to be optimized (by measuring), worry about writing clear and bug-free code first.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Compyx View Post
    How would creating a new buffer each time the old buffer is full speed up stuff? You'd still need to copy the contents of the old buffer into the new buffer, so you're basically doing what realloc does by hand and most probably slower since if realloc can resize the buffer without moving it, there's virtually no overhead.

Don't optimize things until you've shown they need to be optimized (by measuring), worry about writing clear and bug-free code first.
    I agree, but I don't think that was what MadCow was implying, but I could be wrong.

If all the OP wants to do is make a copy of a file, then using a fixed-sized buffer would suffice. There would be no need to use an allocation function, unless the buffer will be defined to be unusually large.

Something like this would suffice:
    Code:

char buf[1024] = {0};
    int  bytes = 0;

while ((bytes = fread(buf, 1, sizeof(buf) - 1, orig_file)) > 0)
    {
       fwrite(buf, 1, bytes, tmp_file);
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

not necessarily.
    you could just swap the pointer of the full buffer with that of an uninitialized new buffer and placing the full buffer in some kind of list of full buffers.
    Then you aren't copying anything and another thread could handle the list of buffers as they get available.
    You could even skip the repetitive memory allocation if the handling thread gives back the handled buffers for reuse in the reading thread.
    But this is a rather specialized case.

Dwhitney's point is probably the most important case next to reading it all in one chunk.
    handle the buffer directly in the reading loop (and just copying the result of that) and reuse the same buffer in the next iteration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

not necessarily.
    you could just swap the pointer of the full buffer with that of an uninitialized new buffer and placing the full buffer in some kind of list of full buffers.
    Then you aren't copying anything and another thread could handle the list of buffers as they get available.
    You could even skip the repetitive memory allocation if the handling thread gives back the handled buffers for reuse in the reading thread.
    But this is a rather specialized case.
    After I posted my answer I looked at your response again and got a feeling that's what you meant by allocating new buffers. That would indeed save you from realloc calls which may have to relocate chunks of memory. Although I think such an algorithm would be way too complicated for someone just starting to learn C and its standard library, such as the OP.

Dwhitney's point is probably the most important case next to reading it all in one chunk.
    handle the buffer directly in the reading loop (and just copying the result of that) and reuse the same buffer in the next iteration.
    Yes, that's the way I'd do it, except I'd change the 'sizeof(buf) - 1' to simply 'sizeof buf': fread() doesn't read more than you tell it to, so the '-1' is unnecessary. Perhaps Dwhitney was thinking along the lines of strncpy which doesn't terminate a string with '\0' if there isn't room.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Yes, that's the way I'd do it, except I'd change the 'sizeof(buf) - 1' to simply 'sizeof buf': fread() doesn't read more than you tell it to, so the '-1' is unnecessary. Perhaps Dwhitney was thinking along the lines of strncpy which doesn't terminate a string with '\0' if there isn't room.
    For file copying purposes you are correct; the -1 was overkill.

However, if I wanted to perform string operations on the data, or even just print it, then one would want to preserve one-byte at the end of the buffer because a null-character would need to be inserted.
    Code:

char buf[1024] = {0};
    int  bytes = 0;

{
       buf[bytes] = '\0';
       printf("%s", buf);
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post

However, if I wanted to perform string operations on the data, or even just print it, then one would want to preserve one-byte at the end of the buffer because a null-character would need to be inserted.
    Code:

char buf[1024] = {0};
    int  bytes = 0;

{
       buf[bytes] = '\0';
       printf("%s", buf);
    }

For reading character data (text files) I would use fgets(3). I use fread for binary data, e.g. data that can contain nul's ('\0'). But using fread on text files is fine if you don't need to do some line-based operations on the data. It's probably a bit faster than fgets, since fread doesn't have to check for '\n' on each call.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitney67 View Post

Code:

char buf[1024] = {0};
    int  bytes = 0;

{
       buf[bytes] = '\0';
       printf("%s", buf);
    }

Thank you all for the advises
    I'm thinking if it's possible to get the file size of a file? Then with the file size I make a copy using mkstemp? Then read the data from the copy file and write new data to the original file?

but in this case, there's still a need for me to use malloc right? in order to read()/ write() or I can just use an array[filesize]??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You get the size of a file with stat(3), type 'man 3 stat' for more information. You would still need malloc to aquire a buffer to hold the file contents, or use C99's variable-length arrays.

Note that the information provided by stat cannot always be relied on, such as the size of special files in /proc:
    Code:
    compyx@aspire7730g:~$ ls -l /proc/cpuinfo 
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-03-23 18:15 /proc/cpuinfo
    compyx@aspire7730g:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 6
    model		: 15
    model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5800  @ 2.00GHz
    stepping	: 13
    cpu MHz		: 800.000
    cache size	: 2048 KB
    So in my opinion the most reliable method of copying a file would be using the buffer approach. Reading an entire file into memory would be done using either realloc or just malloc using some data structure to keep track of where the chunks of the file are. (Which most likely would involve more malloc calls, since a linked list would be a good candidate for such a structure).

In the end, doing any serious work in C will require you to use malloc and friends at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast