Thread: Lenovo G550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lenovo G550

Has anyone used Ubuntu / other distro with the Lenovo G550, and if so, how is it?

Other than that, does anyone have any recommendations for good laptops? Got to have 4Gb RAM, got to have 320Gb+ HDD etc etc. And prices must be in British Pounds.

Cheers guys!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Lenovo G550

I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a Lenovo G 450 with 4gb ram and and a 320gb hard drive. I purchased it refurbished from Lenovo for US$ 450 (About 300 pounds) It came with Windows 7 installed on the hard drive. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a 8gb flash drive. Everything worked fine until I installed the latest kernel update about 3 days ago. Now I get Grub boot menu and I select the latest kernel (I am not near my computer so I don't have the version number) and I briefly get Ubuntu symbol and then my screen goes completely black. Prior to the the latest kernel update, it worked flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
    Has anyone used Ubuntu / other distro with the Lenovo G550, and if so, how is it?

Other than that, does anyone have any recommendations for good laptops? Got to have 4Gb RAM, got to have 320Gb+ HDD etc etc. And prices must be in British Pounds.

Cheers guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo G550

Hi scottuss,

There are about a dozen users with Lenovo G460/G550/G560 laptops:

https://launchpad.net/~lenovo-g550

One issue were the Broadcom BCM4312 drivers, but nobody complains anymore since recent driver updates.

Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post

Cheers guys!