Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu issues with wirelss and heat temperature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Ubuntu issues with wirelss and heat temperature

Ubuntu is great and I love everything about ubuntu. Comparing ubuntu with windows. All I can say is ubuntu runs faster, simpler, and stable but I have this problem. If can somebody help me with wireless and heat issues. I have searched already many forums, and in google but sadly I can't find any answer. I use my laptop most of the time with windows because of wireless issues and heat issues.

Im using toshiba m900 core 2 duo 2.2ghz with 3gb memory. my Network card is realtek and also the wireless is realtek which I've seen in my windows hardware details. If this issue is solve, then I would love to use my ubuntu as most of the time. I'm afraid my laptop would fry up and burn. When I use ubuntu, the heat in keypad near the palm is really hot. I don't know how high is the temperature but, my hands can't stand it. I tried using fan and cooling pad but no luck and it's like a hot blower.

The wireless setup in ubuntu cannot detect my access point that I don't know if my wireless card is the issue or my access point. I'm using DLink 1150 model. I don't see any networks in the menu. if ubuntu can help me with this problem, then its a big big thanks because I really love ubuntu.

Any tips and help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Beans

Re: Ubuntu issues with wirelss and heat temperature

For heat, you might try the frequency scaling applet:
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-chan...in-ubuntu.html

I don't have any particular experience with your wireless card. I didn't find it listed on this page:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...workCardsDlink

It might be worth installing compat-wireless drivers. Try here first:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Do...less_on_Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have tried the link for cpu frequency you have given but it did not work.

I'm now trying the compat-wireless you refer.

hoping to solve this issues.

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have tried the compat-wireless but now I can't enter the ubuntu system. I mean, when i restart my laptop then choose ubuntu then it doesn't start on ubuntu. It was in the black with command line and nothing else to choose. if I would remember it's like grub: i forgot. but it did not come to the loading of ubuntu.

Beans

What options do you get at the grub menu? You can try recovery mode if you're unable to boot a normal session.

What did you do to install the compat-wireless drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i don't see any option. so now i just uninstall it. Hoping someday the issues will be solve. because I love to use ubuntu than windows. ubuntu is easy to use than other linux distro. ubuntu is faster to load than windows.my loading will only take 20 seconds to 30 seconds on ubuntu. in windows vista it takes 1 minute and 40 seconds then sometimes 2 minutes.

Even i have use compiz fusion in ubuntu, it still faster than windows. so for now maybe I will cool off to ubuntu. I will wait for lucid. =) btw, thanks for the help. this is the only post i got reply. my previous posts are hopeless.

Can I add you to my buddy list?

Beans

It's strange. I wouldn't expect installing different wireless module to prevent booting (though you didn't describe very clearly what was happening). There are other things you can try, like windows drivers with ndiswrapper.

However, I can totally understand if you prefer to wait until Lucid is released. It will/does have improved wireless support in the kernel (compared with vanilla karmic).

(Sorry, I don't really collect friends on here.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have tried the ndiswrapper. But I failed to make it work. anywayz, tnx tnx for the replies hehe. I have post new thread "Ubuntu 10.04 for Toshiba Machines". so I can get many reviews and comments. If that will help me.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have tried debian 5.04 on my toshiba m900 core 2 duo 2.2ghz with 3gb memory ram, ati radeon 4500 video card. It still get high temperature. I run Live cd (debian 5.04) then boot then exploring the menus and i did not update any. I did not do anything. then after 3 to 4 minutes it became really hot and the fan really sounds. I don't know why my laptop becomes overheat when using linux. I also use ubuntu 9.1, freebsd 8, linuxmint8, eArOS, and other linux distros but same experience. really hot.

Any help and tips will be appreciated so much.

Thanks
    squeeze it and release it =)

Beans

You might take your laptop to a service and request a dust-cleaning inside. I had a similar problem with my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A 110-153) a year after I bought it (it was becoming very hot running Windows or Ubuntu, with/without wireles working). A dust-cleaning inside solved the problem, and I am doing that once a year, and it`s working just fine, no heat problem anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast