Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I directly upgrade from Intrepid to Lucid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How can I directly upgrade from Intrepid to Lucid?

no not now just wait for 25 days.........LUCID lynx well be officially available.......now its just alpha and beta versions.......

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

who wants a stable distro never dist-upgrade: always a mess because of hard changes, old settings and configs left behind and else.

make room for a clean fresh install and a dedicated partition for /home.
    install with unetbootin or what you want, and you have not later to fight against bad transitions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    I don't understand what you mean. Of course I'm updating them (it's automatic, thank goodness). I've already reached the Jaunty stage (without other trouble than having the computer busy for a whole morning) and I plan to upgrade to Karmic soon (TM).
    Doing four upgrades in a row instead of one fresh install is asking for a world of headaches. Upgrades are usually about 95% (in my opinion) effective. This means there are usually a few things you have to do manually.. like configure wireless, or update restricted drivers, or update your software packages/themes, etc. which are not part of the overall upgrade. These tasks are usually not a big deal, but when you do several upgrades at once, you will be left with a system that will probably need lots of manual intervention to get working perfectly.

I strongly advise a fresh install!

64-Bit Ubuntu! Join the future of computing.

Beans
    Distro

Wow! The amount of disinformation in this thread is simply incredible.

I have never reinstalled ubuntu. Every computer I own or administer is installed once and upgraded. Several boxes have been upgraded sequentially all the way from breezy. As long as you don't install 3rd "junk" debs upgrades are typically flawless.

If you don't believe me then read this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=13

Since Hardy introduced support for the Dapper-Hardy upgrade Ubuntu has been expressly designed to allow for non-sequential upgrades. Although these upgrades are not officially supported they *should* work. (I skipped jaunty on most of intel boxes due to the driver problem.)

To upgrade from intrepid you just need to change your sources to lucid and comment out or deselect any 3rd party repos or ppas. Alternatively you can edit /etc/apt/source.list and any list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d (can't remember if intrepid uses /etc/apt/sources.list.d).

Once you've changed your sources you simply run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Last edited by nanog; March 30th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Repair:dpkg --configure -a Reconfigure:dpkg-reconfigure pkg (-a) Fix:apt-get -f install (pkg) Nuke:dpkg --force-remove-reinstreq -r pkg Corrupt deb:rm /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg Hack dpkg:rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkg* Chroot unbootable ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nanog View Post

To upgrade from intrepid you just need to change your sources to lucid and comment out or deselect any 3rd party repos or ppas. Alternatively you can edit /etc/apt/source.list and any list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d (can't remember if intrepid uses /etc/apt/sources.list.d).

Once you've changed your sources you simply run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    No! Do not do this. This advice will leave most systems a complete mess.

To clarify:
    Yes, you can skip versions if you are going from one LTS version to another LTS version.

Yes, you can do multiple sequential upgrades in a row. But, any custom files/libraries/themes/kernels/modules/configurations/programs built from source, etc. will require manual intervention and re-configuration. However, if you are a user who uses basically a stock Ubuntu system without much customization, then go-ahead and do multiple upgrades.

64-Bit Ubuntu! Join the future of computing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

9.04 to 9.10 was a mess in upgrades. Not only in upgrades, 9.10 just wasn't ready when it first came out als "final".
    After having to reinstall my machine with 9.04 I surely suggest you not to upgrade "as soon as you can" when it's april 29th. It may be out of beta-state then, but if it is like with 9.10...... you end up with a lot of non-working hardware, which worked perfectly before.

I didn't try to upgrade that 9.04 laptop again. I did however recently install another system with 9.10 dual-boot to Windows 7. It seems to be better yet, or it's just because the 9.04 machine is about 1.5 years old while this system is only 4 months old yet that the hardware-support for this PC is much better than the 9.10 support for the laptop-hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i know its about a week late, and your probably already done upgrading... but in the future you could simply backup your /home directory. thats where all your configuration files are stored. personally i prefer giving /home its own partition. makes it easier for me to backup.

Although I haven't tried it myself I understand that during a fresh install of ubuntu, if you make sure the FORMAT box is not ticked, then it will only wipe the system files and proceed with the installation, leaving your /home folder intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    Alright, thanks. I'm gradually upgrading it already. :/

Beans

Since Hardy introduced support for the Dapper-Hardy upgrade Ubuntu has been expressly designed to allow for non-sequential upgrades. Although these upgrades are not officially supported they *should* work.
    I have to stress that such upgrades are entirely unsupportable, and are an especially bad idea for upgrading from an EOL release, and/or to an unstable development branch (Lucid). If you perform one, you're on your own: don't file bug reports, don't request support, don't complain about stuff not working; it's highly likely that you'll be wasting your and others' time trying to track down issues that shouldn't be there in a supported install, and possibly do more harm than good in testing.

Beans
    Distro

No! Do not do this. This advice will leave most systems a complete mess.
    This is not correct. (I did this on every intel machine I administer without a single problem.) There is a big difference between unsupported and not possible.

But, any custom files/libraries/themes/kernels/modules/configurations/programs built from source, etc. will require manual intervention and re-configuration.
    This is not correct. Dpkg will complain if there are dependency errors (regardless of how or to what you upgrade) and the gnu c compiler is designed to be backwards compatible. IMO, if you want to avoid multiple sequential upgrades (or a fresh install) its worth a try.

don't file bug reports, don't request support
    While I completely agree that this is not an appropriate way to *test*, I like to think that my bug reports have helped make ubuntu better despite the fact that some of them originated from "unsupported" systems.
    Repair:dpkg --configure -a Reconfigure:dpkg-reconfigure pkg (-a) Fix:apt-get -f install (pkg) Nuke:dpkg --force-remove-reinstreq -r pkg Corrupt deb:rm /var/cache/apt/archives/pkg Hack dpkg:rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkg* Chroot unbootable ubuntu

Beans

This is not correct. (I did this on every intel machine I administer without a single problem.) There is a big difference between unsupported and not possible.

This is not correct. Dpkg will complain if there are dependency errors (regardless of how or to what you upgrade) and the gnu c compiler is designed to be backwards compatible. IMO, if you want to avoid multiple sequential upgrades (or a fresh install) its worth a try.

While I completely agree that this is not an appropriate way to *test*, I like to think that my bug reports have helped make ubuntu better despite the fact that some of them originated from "unsupported" systems.
    Honestly, you've skipped from Intrepid to Lucid on numerous machines with no problem?

I'd love to see your logs on that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast