Thread: Anyone getting StarCraft 2? and some random other thoughts

Beans

Anyone getting StarCraft 2? and some random other thoughts

StarCraft is one of my favorite games. I'm not a regular player but do go through a few phases per year when I'm into it. The main reason I can still play the game is because I have a cousin and a few friends that still play. Now with sc2 on the way only 1 of my buddies is planning to buy it. He will most likely get bored of the game in a month and not buy the expansions. My cousin who loves sc is interested in the second game but has no plans to buy a computer that can run it.

What made the 1st game fun for me will be missing from the second which is people to play it with. I know there are plenty of people online but I've always been a solo gamer or real life friends only.

For the most part I've gotten away from pc gaming in general. Most commercial games are not supported in linux and the state of pc gaming is a mess right now. The drm on newer games is horrible and full or problems. We also now have pc gaming divided into categories, like steam and other competitors.

With a nice home theater setup I no longer want to sit at the computer and play games. I agree that pc gaming can have advantages for a power user but the ht setup trumps it for me. So why am I complaining? I don't want to sit at my computer to play games anymore, especially if I have to boot into another o/s just to play it. We will see if I can over come the force to purchase sc2.

Beans

Re: Anyone getting StarCraft 2? and some random other thoughts

They think making true Starcraft fans wait this long while they slaved away to the "World Of Warcraft" is cool? I will never buy a Blizzard game again. Would it hurt them to make a quick Linux port? Perhaps then I would consider it. Then I would remember World Of Warcraft and just walk away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i cant wait to get my hands on starcraft 2 and i seem to like all blizzard games even WOW im a paladin , but ive given up on it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    They think making true Starcraft fans wait this long while they slaved away to the "World Of Warcraft" is cool? I will never buy a Blizzard game again.
    I remember when Blizzard had a "big news" announcement coming up. Everyone was all hyped about sc2 or diablo 3. Then when we found out the big news was a pay mmo set in a world that I had no interest in anyway. What a disappointment.

If I do ever buy the game I would want full compatibility with wine and a complete edition with all the expansions. As it is now blizzard is planning to sell you StarCraft 2 for 130$ (game plus 2 exp).

Are there any open source rts type games that could ever trump sc coming up?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jedispork View Post
    Are there any open source rts type games that could ever trump sc coming up?
    Check out spring RTS engine:
    http://springrts.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: Anyone getting StarCraft 2? and some random other thoughts

I'm getting SC2, D3, and I already play WOW 80 mage 80 priest 80 hunter 80 DK my life is going to be over when CAT D3 and SC2 come out can't wait!

Beans

Already got the SC2 beta, and can't wait for full release.