Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu destroyed my Network Card - RTL8111

Beans

Re: Ubuntu destroyed my Network Card - RTL8111

Quote Originally Posted by ankit singh View Post
    Does running two different drivers for any hardware,destroys it?
    Destroy? No. The real issue like I describe above is if obscure registers get set which other drivers (or other OS's drivers) don't know about or bother with ... AND at the same time, obscure register establishes a state where the card won't work as we want until the register is reset.

Should all drivers be unable to twiddle that bit, then one could consider the hardware "bricked"; however this seem quite improbable as SOME driver knew about it to twiddle it! Plus... windows at least is very good about exposing advanced driver settings that we can experiment with. There, windwos is good for 2 things.

Chris
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by old_man_auz View Post
    I had the same problem.

My motherboard is a "Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4" with the same onboard network hardware as in the forum title. Network working fine in both Windows 7 and Kubuntu 9.10. I installed Kubuntu 10.04 overtop of Kubuntu 9.10 and the wired network wouldn't work. ALSO I couldn't connect to it with my wireless, which is a TPLINK wireless card of some sorts. I restarted back into Windows 7 to see if I could find some answers to my problems and BOTH the wired AND wireless hardware refused to work in Windows 7 as well.

I was beginning to panic, but as the guy said above, once I turned my computer off and unplugged everything from the wall for about 3 minutes and turned back on, the wired network is working again. I haven't tested the wireless yet.
    this "unplugging" technique solved it for me, thank god. If i had to deal with wireless' instability anymore i was going to [insert awful deed here.] fyi this is my first post on ubuntu, CAUSE IM IN LOVE WITH UBUNTU AW YEA!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is what irritates me about Ubuntu. You *know* that this issue won't be fixed until 11.04

Beans

Hi guys,

I have the similar issue as you with a tiny difference.

- dual boot wn7 x64 and buntu 10.04 x64 (did happen on 8.04 and 9.10)

I only lost my network's card on ubuntu. Win7 works as usual. There is nothing on ifconfig. The only way i found is to reboot ubuntu. I did not need to unplug the power.

One time !! after i let the computer power up, I've tried to reconnect via network manager, the connection was back.

Also, It changes nothing after changing the driver 8169 into 8168.

As some peole, i realise that my bandwith is slowing down sometimes. I was thinking it was my connection...

Beans

I have compiled the correct linux driver 8.023.00 dated April 19, 2011 from Realtek web-site in Kubuntu 11.04/64bit system. It is ok for me to connect to Internet or my NAS. But the problem is the lan card transfer rate perform in 100mbps not in 1000mbps(gigabit). I have also tried to replace the cat6 lan cable. Unfortunately,it still work in 100mbps transfer rate. I wonder Realtek coded the win7 driver without any major issue but there are no bug-fix for linux system. I just only hope Realtek launch another linux driver for us to fix the issue

Patrick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by youngpatrick View Post
    I have compiled the correct linux driver 8.023.00 dated April 19, 2011 from Realtek web-site in Kubuntu 11.04/64bit system. It is ok for me to connect to Internet or my NAS. But the problem is the lan card transfer rate perform in 100mbps not in 1000mbps(gigabit). I have also tried to replace the cat6 lan cable. Unfortunately,it still work in 100mbps transfer rate. I wonder Realtek coded the win7 driver without any major issue but there are no bug-fix for linux system. I just only hope Realtek launch another linux driver for us to fix the issue

Patrick

I think that you are trying to say that it works fine under Windows, but it doesn't hurt to ask

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by janpol View Post
    Does it run at 1Gbps in Windows? What about the other end of the cable? Does that device run properly at 1Gbps?

I think that you are trying to say that it works fine under Windows, but it doesn't hurt to ask

On today I have re-installed Windows 7-64bits version on HP DM1-3000au to verify the Realtek RTL8168 Rev.6 gigabit lan card problem. After updating the Win 7 lan card driver downloaded either from HP or realtek web-sites, the problem is still there. The Netgear WNDR3700 router detect the signal at 100Mbps using cat6 cable I used. Certainly, the router can detect my desktop PC (built in Atheros AR8121 family chipset) and NAS in gigabits signal even though I connect its with cat5e lan cables. Surely, my linux desktop transfer the files from NAS in 65~ 94MBits/s via FTP service. That is I confirm my router is in good condition. I am curious whether using cat6e lan cable will fix the problem or not. Please advise.

Thanks,

Patrick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

This has just happened to me running 11.10.

I've tried the r8168 drivers and a hard reboot but no luck. I can see the eth0 device in Ubuntu, it just won't connect to anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bealer View Post
    This has just happened to me running 11.10.

I've tried the r8168 drivers and a hard reboot but no luck. I can see the eth0 device in Ubuntu, it just won't connect to anything.
    if you can see eth0 then you do not have the problem that is the subject of this thread

Beans

FWIW, on this same desktop I mention in the thread, 11.10 won't even boot up from CD or USB. I'm still using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it and thankfully, it's been there for me every day.

PC Linux OS installs easily and everything works without issue... probably end up switching.

Chris
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast