Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tethering with android?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Tethering with android?

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    bone2006, the OP of this thread, has a MyTouch, which I also have.
    My mistake, with a quote from me in the reply and your phrasing I thought that reply was meant for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fatum View Post
    My mistake, with a quote from me in the reply and your phrasing I thought that reply was meant for me.
    I treat each support thread as an attempt to help the first post-er (aka OP).

I didn't know you were asking for help with your Eris. If you are, I would suggest you post a new thread of your own so people can help you with it.

If you are, however, trying to help the OP with a MyTouch, keep in mind that it is easier to root a MyTouch than to use those complex instructions to get a tether.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I treat each support thread as an attempt to help the first post-er (aka OP).

I didn't know you were asking for help with your Eris. If you are, I would suggest you post a new thread of your own so people can help you with it.

If you are, however, trying to help the OP with a MyTouch, keep in mind that it is easier to root a MyTouch than to use those complex instructions to get a tether.
    You have a round about way of going about it then.

The OP has already stated that he has gotten it to work and posted the instructions he used to do so. He also stated that he all ready looked into rooting his phone and stated he was unsure of changing firmware.

I in no way asked a question when stating that I had an Eris and led the OP to the relevant information to get what he asked for, except for the preferred use of bluetooth. I only stated the phone I had to show I too am running Android.

Also the ease of doing something is in the opinion of the user.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fatum View Post
    only change that some might need to do is when starting the adb server instead of

Code:
    ./adb start-server
    they may need to do that with sudo so

Code:
    sudo ./adb start-server
    You will know when you need to do this change if you get an error stating you do not have privileges. The privileges are for seeing the phone itself not starting the server. Easy way to see if you need this change is just to run

Code:
    ./adb devices
    with the phone plugged in to the computer. If output includes a string of letters and numbers then you are good. If output includes a string of question marks then you need to use sudo.

Also you may need to change the first line in the on.sh file to stat where you have the Android SDK if it was all ready installed on your system prior to trying this. That is if you did not move it to the location specified.
    I'm not sure if you noticed, but I have sudo su - command, so you don't need sudo where you mentioned. You will be logged in as sudo/root and when your done, you just need to type exit.

Beans

Um, do whatever works for you, of course, but just so you know, those instructions look way more complicated than the ones I followed to root my phone.
    Your lucky, because my mytouch is the newer one with the 35mm phone jack and the developers of the firmware themselves posted on March 10th that they would not recommend rooting this phone as of yet, because of issues.

Beans

bone2006, the OP of this thread, has a MyTouch, which I also have.
    I don't think we have the same phone, do you have the older one? Even the website you posted advises to be careful doing the mytouch with the 35mm phone jack. If you go on their forum, they are advising to wait and not root this phone.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...to_CyanogenMod

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bone2006 View Post
    I don't think we have the same phone, do you have the older one? Even the website you posted advises to be careful doing the mytouch with the 35mm phone jack. If you go on their forum, they are advising to wait and not root this phone.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...to_CyanogenMod
    Oh, my bad. Sorry!

Yeah, I do have the older one. I didn't know there was a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I did not notice that at the beginning. My brain must have just skipped right over it, possibly because I use su. I prefer to use sudo when needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

tether android phone (mytouch) with laptop, using proxoid. I got it to work!!

no need to root (and void your warranty)

check out this thread for the step by step

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1441466

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12