Thread: Backup Ubuntu along with Softwares Installed

Beans

Backup Ubuntu along with Softwares Installed

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu on my machine and configured the system accordingly. I also installed quite a few new software programs and configured them too according to my choice.

I want to take a backup of the entire system along with the software programs installed and the configurations so that if my system crashes or if I want to boot up a new machine, I can install from my backup get everything similar to what I have now instantly.

Is this possible? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Backup Ubuntu along with Softwares Installed

Your might want to check out ghost4linux (g4l) there's an older tutorial here.
    Alternate (psychocats.net) Ubuntu info resource

Helping isn't what the logical mind thinks it is because when you help others you're really helping yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't have first hand experience with Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/ but have read some good reviews. I use a shareware solution 'Image for Linux' from http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm It will do incremental backups and files can be extracted individually. I've used it to move partitions to new hard drives and have had good success with it. Get everything the way you want it then create an image. That way, if things fail you can restore a known-good system.

Unsolicited plug though I have no relationship to Terabyte or its' principles.

I also use BootIt NG from the same publisher. The useful thing about BootIt NG is that I can have 200+ primary partitions if I want, and can let different operating systems access different partitions in addition to the O.S's partition. BootIt NG has a peculiar interface but does seem to work well. The biggest trap with Ubuntu & Bootit NG is when installing, be sure to specify placing grub in the partition, not in the MBR. If Grub overwrites BootIt NG's Extended MBR, it gets ugly.

Beans

In such case I wonder if a tool that does this exist:
    - create a complete list of installed packages (e.g. dpkg --get-selections)
    - checks for any file that was modified with respect to the its default contents (repository content) : (e.g. debsums)
    - checks for any other file that might have been added manually to an usual configuration, log and cache location (e.g. /etc, /var etc.)

Backup created this way would be way smaller than verbatim copy of existing installation. It might help also to find problems with a working system, it would allow for a quick comparison between a working and non-working configuration.

Any thoughts?

s.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ranktip View Post
    Hi,

I installed Ubuntu on my machine and configured the system accordingly. I also installed quite a few new software programs and configured them too according to my choice.

I want to take a backup of the entire system along with the software programs installed and the configurations so that if my system crashes or if I want to boot up a new machine, I can install from my backup get everything similar to what I have now instantly.

Is this possible? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tried remastersys??? http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/remastersys
    I like to keep it respectful with OpenRespect
    I write at The Void Ghost and 2buntu